2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, any opinion on these two reels? I want to buy a jigging set up and am planning on buying a Torium or Trinidad 20. Is the Trinidad worth $400 vs. less than $200 for the Torium. I plan on loading it up with 65# spectra and putting it on a Trevala rod. It will need to handle some decent size AJ's.

Thanks,

ROB

·
Registered
746 Posts
Rob,
This subject has come up before and I think many would agree that the Avet LX spooled with 65# Izorline for $279 at Charkbait.com is the best deal. The reel is the same size as Torium 20 but has much more stopping power. I own both and Avet hands down!

·
Registered
577 Posts
We have Trinidads. They are a great reel no doubt. But, I'd buy 2 Toriums over 1 Trinidad. The Torium is a great reel. I used some on Kevin Arnolds boat, Catch 22.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe the jx is better suited for jigging than the lx, same gearing and drags as lx, but its more narrow/less weight. w/ spectra you have enough capacity for the jigging application.
The JX and LX come in either single or two speed 4/6.

The Trinidad has a star drag, making it more of a casting reel than bottom fishing/jigging. The LX and JX are lever drag, but they have about twice as much drag out of the box.

The difference between Torium and Trinidad, im not sure about, not very familiar w/ torium.

Like George, I own both avet's and shimano's, and as much as I like my avets, I still have love for my Trinidad 40, because it can cast a mile!

Bottom line, all reels can bring in line, its all a matter of how fast you want the line back, how much pressure you are going to put on the line and how far you want your lure/bait to fly when you cast. Pick both up reels, play with them, if you get the chance, borrow a friend's and try it on a fish. You dont want to buy a reel you will not enjoy and nobody wants to suffer from reel envy.

How come you are not fishing today George?

Carlos

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just so happens that I went buy the local tackle shop this morning and checked out the Avet JX 6/3. Didn't help my decision (actually made it tougher). Still trying to decide. ROB

·
Registered
577 Posts
Shimano over Avet. I have them both. Not weak. Caught 60+ pound Wahoo on the Speedmaster, Other guys I fish with have caught hoo's in the 70's. Call that weak?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my wife is dragging me shopping and i said it would be fine if she let's me stop and look again. That might be a selling point for her. Diawa also make an inexpensive saltist which is made for braids and has a 6:4/1 retrieve. I am just concerned about AJ's in the 70#+ range which are not that uncommon, so I want something that will hold up.Rob

·
Gig Em! '94
1,388 Posts
Two speeds sure are nice for big AJs. I have an Avet EX 4/02 on a Chaos 50/100 rod that will put the screws to em.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The trinidad 40 is more powerful than the avet SX, JX, and LX. The trini 40 also has a double cog antireverse that won't fail and at least 33 pounds of drag. The only downfalll on the trini 40 is its size. It is a little big.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
Nobody's said anything about that Trevala rod he's wanting to put those reels on. Even though I have caught some pretty good BFT to 25 pounds on my Trevala, and I watched Thomas Steele whip a 7' shark with one, I don't think that's the best bet for AJ's.

Regarding the reel, I'm 100% with the Avet guys, but I'd sure look at a different rod- maybe that Chaos 50-100 that Cru talked about. I know Argo uses them, and I just got 2 of them specifically for AJ's. They really look intimidating. Although I put Penn KG-15's on them.

THE "ALWAYS HAS AN OPINION" JAMMER

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys I am really wanting to go with something that's gonna be lightweight. We spend about half the time out there bottom fishing and the rest skipping baits. I am tired of dropping live bait and waiting. I keep hearing about jigging and want to get a set up before the 19th. I want something I can spend all day jigging with and not get too wore out. It would also be a plus if I could use it to sight cast bait or lures while trolling.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Here ya go!

Trust me ......pound for pound the Avet LX is the most powerful reel mentioned and the size of a Torium 20....think 24 ozs. Still smallish but has some punch when you need it. I have the 6:1 but you may want the 4.3:1. I said this before but caught around 200 lb shark with it. Not the best benchmark but makes the point. Rod was Cut Rate equivalent to a 20-50 Ugly Stick for $79. Lifetime guarantee on the guides and rod. Braid cut thru one eyelet and they replaced it in 5 min. Of course I spent $100 while waiting for it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am leaning towards the JX two speed. I liked the Trevala rod TVC66MH because it was very light, thin and quite stiff.(rated for 50-100# braided line) I want something that doesn't give too much and weighs as little as possible. They run $150. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Trevala XXHeavy Rod rated for 80-200 lb. is my favorite. Same price, same weight, more stiffness.
robdog said:
I am leaning towards the JX two speed. I liked the Trevala rod TVC66MH because it was very light, thin and quite stiff.(rated for 50-100# braided line) I want something that doesn't give too much and weighs as little as possible. They run $150. Any other suggestions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts