2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in the cudas thick this weekend with some pretty large aggresive ones in the mix. They would pounce on our live piggy perch but could not seem to get them to hit any artificial. Any ideas on this....the big ones were fun on light tackle but don't want to empty the live well on cudas.

George

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
They have a tube lure with trebel hooks on it for cudas.....anyhting will work as long as it looks fast
joker

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Make a tube lure out of wire, a whole bunch of tri beads (the ones you use for spacers) and some hooks. Drag it real fast or crank it on a high speed reel. The bubble trail drives them crazy.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michael, not targeting Cudas...they target us though. When they are that big it can be fun watching them hit those baits and can put up a pretty good fight with a Calcutta 400 type set up. We don't keep them for sure. I like Ernest's idea...something cheap besides bait. Half the fun is watching them hit the darn thing and haul [email protected]@ off with it!

George

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I enjoy caughting them. Hell I like anything that bends a rod or smokes a reel. I have always heard tube lures are a sure way to caught 'Cudas

·
Dreamchaser
153 Posts
I hooked a nice sized cuda on a Yozuri (rapala type) lure. The color was blue. The Yozuri has some incredible action to it. Of course I lost it, using 17# line with an ugly stick and Penn 5500. Brought in a nice sized jack with the same setup but using a silver spoon last trip out with Rebelangler and Kaufballs. That was some action, think I was at least 20 minutes fighting him. Oh, 1 foot of steel sevenstrand braid is a must, no snap swivel. Lost a nice fish 2 trips ago, 100# snap swivel bent straight, no more snap swivels, just plain 150# swivel.

·
Offshore
503 Posts
Why not keep em?

Why don't you keep cudas?
The smaller ones (sayup to 2-2.5 feet) are totally safe and real good eating!
Try it, you'll like it!

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
I can never get past that smell......and you ain't putting that thing on top of my tuna!
joker

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same thing here.......cant stand the smell. Skanky Fish!

·
Registered
497 Posts
cudas tend to stink the same as old men like myself. why is that?? If you want to catch a cuda, try slowly reeling any hooked fish to the boat. they are worse than any flipper ive seen.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have a whole frozen 30lb cuda in my deep freeze waiting to be made into chum. That will be on my next trip out whenever the heck that is.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Hopefully sooner that later J..............................................later,Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts