2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love throwing skitter walks, super spooks, mirrolures and others, but I was wondering........

It seems like most offshore topwater plugs are poppers(not all) and most inshore poppers are walkers(again not all). In the fresh water there seems to an almost even split.

I love to fish for trout and my question is...why aren't there more popper style baits for trout and red fish. Is it to cover more water or do you feel they like a faster retrieve or so they don't get a good look at the bait. If fishing off color water I would think the louder popping would bring them in for a heck of a reaction strike.

Whats your 2 cents and have you had success throwing poppers? If so under what conditions.

·
No Mo'!
1,319 Posts
I had a buddy wade with me one day thats a freshwater guy. I was catching trout on a bone super spook jr and he was using some rapala popper and couldnt even get a blow up. I think its more of the walk,wake,and sound the walkers put off that attracts them

·
work magic box...
2018 Shoalwater Cat 21'
833 Posts
i have to agree with BMT. I have never had any luck with a popper fishing for specs. but throw a hula popper or something in the morning on a lake, and i'll slaughter dem bass.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have pretty good luck with the Chug Bug poppers. Those dog walkers kinda wear out my wrists after a while. The Chug Bugs are easier for me to work.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
ever see a wounded mullet or other baitfish pop and chug? I haven't. But I have seen wounded fish move just like the topwaters do on the walk the dog action. If you were a predator fish, which would you strike?

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
ever see a wounded mullet or other baitfish pop and chug? I haven't. But I have seen wounded fish move just like the topwaters do on the walk the dog action. If you were a predator fish, which would you strike?
True , but the sound a chug makes is similar to a predator hitting or rolling on a bait at the surface and that is like ringing the dinner bell for fish in the area!! Its a sound thing

·
Registered
762 Posts
I went striper fishing this summer throwing those big popper baits. The popper didn't resemble the shad flicking the surface but the dink striper slapping at them. It worked the big stripers wanted it. Still, I wanted to through a spook. I just have more confidence in them.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
When I moved from Oklahoma to S. Louisiana back in '88, I came down here loaded for bear with all the bass tackle you could imagine the boat the rods the tackle you name it and my first trip back in the marsh was a shock. Anything that worked on bass would work on redfish and trout. I can remember tying on a Rebel Pop R and within a couple of casts I got hammered by a red. Those wire hooks on a Pop R don't hold up very well. Twenty years later I still catch fish on lures designed for bass. The Pop R works great in the surf just remember to change out the hooks, jackfish like 'em to.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I've caught fish on both styles. I find the walkers more effective overall ( probably because I use them much more often)

·
Registered
721 Posts
When I moved from Oklahoma to S. Louisiana back in '88, I came down here loaded for bear with all the bass tackle you could imagine the boat the rods the tackle you name it and my first trip back in the marsh was a shock. Anything that worked on bass would work on redfish and trout. I can remember tying on a Rebel Pop R and within a couple of casts I got hammered by a red. Those wire hooks on a Pop R don't hold up very well. Twenty years later I still catch fish on lures designed for bass. The Pop R works great in the surf just remember to change out the hooks, jackfish like 'em to.
Well, typically what works for Bass will eventually trickle down to saltwater. I probably throw more crankbaits for reds and trout than I do for Bass. A couple years ago spinnerbaits were all the rage on the coast. They're still being thrown, it's just crankbaits have taken the latest leap.

Back on topic, I live and die by the Spook Jr. I'll toss that all day in all conditions. Most of my big trout have been caught on it. Just love listening to that click-click-click-WHAM!

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
I like the Ghost and its rattle. Then SS, top dogs , she pups , skitters

I switch em pending on the water condition and the pitch that I want to send out.

I have yet to to try the bonk a donk.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Find a topwater with the eye on the top of the nose. ( Miro-Lure 52M ) Then try working it like a shrimp, not a bait or hurt fish. Slightly drop your rod tip and give it a medium Pop. Take up the slack and wait a couple of seconds. Then Slight rod tip drop and medium Pop. I work the tops both ways, but more of the drop and pop. It works for me, anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Chuggers

I fished with a client that threw Chartreuse Chug Bug in East matty and caught a few small trout, but he was outfished with Spook Jr:bounce:.:headknock

·
Registered
663 Posts
A friend of mine was catching trout on top water about 2 days ago and he said his buddy was getting more strikes on a pop r but he was catching bigger fish on the bone ss. I throw a SS jr white with a red head and the trout love it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Find a topwater with the eye on the top of the nose. ( Miro-Lure 52M ) Then try working it like a shrimp, not a bait or hurt fish. Slightly drop your rod tip and give it a medium Pop. Take up the slack and wait a couple of seconds. Then Slight rod tip drop and medium Pop. I work the tops both ways, but more of the drop and pop. It works for me, anyway.
Mirrolure 52m is a sinking bait.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Mirrolure 52m is a sinking bait.
7M, also the newer Series III S7M.

One day in July the monster trout ate these (21 color) at high noon waist-deep in the roughest blue-green surf I've ever waded. I dunno how they could even see it in the churn and the chop. How I worked it was irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
On most calm days, I'll throw a spook junior that I've "silenced" by drilling a hole in his back and gluing the BB in place -- rattle delete.

Seems to tempt 'em to hitting a topwater when they're a little skiddish.

Craig

·
Get the Net!
1,236 Posts
When it comes to topwaters I almost exclusively use walkers for specks and reds, my favorite being the Rapala Skitterwalker. I've tried Chug Bugs and various poppers with little success in saltwater.

Speaking of topwaters, has anyone here got around to trying out the new Bomber Badonk-a-donk? I've heard good things but haven't picked up one myself just yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts