2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my shops were flooded in the storm. We've secured the house and family, now on to salvage and cleanup of the shops. As of yesterday we finally have fresh water again, but still no power outside of my generator. I have most of the hand tools soaking in buckets of fresh water, and using my generator I can run a bench grinder to buff off the rust with a wire grinder, then cover in lubricant. Any other advice for the hand tools?

Now the Powertools - can any be salvaged? None were plugged in, but all have been 100% submerged in saltwater. This included table saws, drills, presses, routers, circular saws, etc. How do I even begin? Do I just take pictures and write off as a loss? I hate to throw anything away as I am not a wasteful person and many were my grandfather's tools - real good stuff, back when things were made of metal in the USA. At the same time, I do not have the knowledge to take motors apart and rebuild them all if that must be done.

Thanks for any advice. I'm pretty worn down and this all has me very depressed. I've worked so hard the last 2 weeks I can barely even think.

Thanks,

·
Registered
696 Posts
There are a few suggestions in the post from Bobby that's going through the same thing. I would think all the motors are toast but if the tables are worth it you could restore them and replace the motors I suppose. Time and labor wise, your cheaper to just buy all new. I still have a table saw I'm going to get rid of one of these days, hopefully. Let me know if you looking to replace. Good luck, keep your head screwed on straight. I had a garage fire this summer and lost most of my tools. For weeks I fought myself trying to save "my" tools before I gave up and started replacing everything. I still have a few of the pre fire stuff but most of it rusted beyond what my time was worth to get my shop back up and running. Everything was well insured though, you may be in a different spot on that. I also didn't have a few hundred thousand of my neighbors making claims at the same time, don't know how that's going to play out. One thing to consider, I was able to keep all my totalled tools. Since then, some of them have become untotalled. Some of the items were not restorable to prefire condition although they worked fine, just not as pretty. I ended up keeping one or two not so pretty things so I could upgrade others. That's why I have two table saws now. I expected them to take the old one and sell it, they didn't and I've since removed all the rust and still use it and the new one is still in the box. I'm rambling now.

later, biggreen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts