2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Tomaters

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Drumbo 
#1 ·
Hey Bubba, you got any ripe maters?? Mine is still green. My corn will be ready in about 10 days. Okra and cucumbers will be ready to pick by Sat.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My, my, my Fishman!

Did you and your wife do the planting?

Those are incredibly healthy looking tomato plants!

I'm going to give Glenda a heads up. She'll probably ask you lots of questions about the planting of your "maters".

You are to be CONGRATULATED!

#3 ·
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?????????? You didnt plant any Rhubarb????? How you gonna make strawberry/rhubarb pie ?? Scrumptious!!!!!!!!!! Must be a West Virginia kinda "thang" . Great looking garden....

#5 ·
AJ & Medic

Medic, thanks for the recipe.

AJ, the garden is MY baby. Sheila gets home later than I do so, I work the garden and have supper ready most nights as well. I've learned the art of quick meals like many a working woman has done. (microwave baked taters, grill steaks, fish, chicken breast, etc... paper plates...minimal clean-up, fast prep). Yeah...I've gotten good at MULTI-TASKING. And I appreciate what a lot of women have to go through daily.

My problem is I leave for work at 6:30 a.m and its 6:30 p.m. or later til I get home. And I check on mom several days a week. As far as spending time in the garden, I have limited time to spend there like I want. I have too much grass to suit me as I can't hoe much as limited as time is. I know where I have made mistakes this year and the ground will be better prepared next year as well, with lime and nitrogen spread early.

I have redesigned/reengineered my cultivators and next year should be an improvement over all. I'll have woven wire baskets for the maters next year so I won't have to tie the maters up.

We'll see how the watermelons do this summer. No taters or cantalopes this year but I will next year.

Could I buy veggies cheaper? Yes we could with our income, and rest a bit more. But I enjoy seeing things grow and its a relief to get out by myself and "relax".

I ain't got a flower planted and I did want that but time ran out and energy too. Mom is rooting me some rose bushes that has been in the family over 100 years and has me seeds for all kinds of flowers.

Yeah...I've gotten good at MULTI-TASKING...If I had not, I'd just give up and do very little.

Tell Glenda I go by Blum's Farmers and Planters Almanac and plant by the signs as much as possible. It ain't a bunch of hooey. My garden looks better than my father-in-laws right next to mine. He don't plant in the signs and he don't cultivate or hoe enough. Tomatos? Plant as deep as possible, water, fertilize and keep pulling up dirt around the base. They will weather drought conditions longer and better. Keep them off the ground (tied up or in a wire basket) and prune the sucker leaves/stems off.

#6 ·
Purty purty purty

Dat dere garden is beaufuddle! I don't have a biggun, AJ and Fishymon. But if'n there is spot o' dirt, I be in it with sumpthin'. I know every frog and lizzard and nibblin' varmint in the yard.

I plant in buckets. I planted in a big old dirt pile that had been dumped in the backyard and never used. Killed off the grass and the roots head down into the pile. The dirt here is lacking. I did a soil test and had like NO nitrogen/phosphates/potash. Nitrogen = green leaves Phosphorus = good root development Potash = fruit and flower development. Started to add them using a generic form of Miracle Grow [Garden Expert far cheaper] and viola I got RED MATERS....tee hee.

I've yanked my squash already, boiled the beets, done et the wax and greenbeans and now sharing dem cukes and maters. Don't have many but I've had materless years and there is nothing worse than not having the taste of a homegrown tomato. I have four ripening plants, two that are right behind them, two more just putting on the fruit and four more to go in. Maters up till the first freeze and we have 235 growing days here a year. Cukes are a foot long and burpless and replanted the bluelake greenbeans and they are over 2" already. Got red peppers, jalapenos, Hungarian, Anaheims. If it grows I have one of it...ha ha. Start everything from seed if I can and working on a crop of cabbages for fall planting right now. And if that ain't enuf, THE FLOUNDERS ARE COMING IN NOW! Yeah!!! Love to all,

#7 ·
I am impressed. You can not only multi task but you are multi talented as well. We didn't do a garden at all this year and we will have no Mater Samiches, sigh! Just peanut butter and "nanners" with dill pickles and a tad of mayonaise. sometimes a slab or two of bacon ads the Pork taste to them. Yum!!!!!!

#9 ·
Fishman said:
I might have to "Overnight" you some maters!

'specially iffin thats all you can find to eat

Doing any fishing?
Nope, No fishing. :cry: All my activities keep me away much of the time. Got over twice and got a Short, a fluke, and a bathing suit top!! They wouldn't weigh in the bathing suit top! Imagine that! But they did give me a citation:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.