2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a post in that trolling etiquette thread that I wanted to comment on - I couldn't find it to quote, somehow it got lost in 10+ pages of wrist rockets and seagull skeet.

To paraphrase - "Could Tom and Rik add a page to the front of their fishing atlases with some basic Fishing etiquette guidelines?"

Sure, I realize that not everyone will read and follow them, especially those guys that think they know everything, but I bet most newbies would read them, and at least think about them when on the water.
Right now, I am paddling a kayak. I am also actively looking for a deal boat that can take me on some near shore/offshore fishing adventures. I have had boats for creek fishing, so I am not a total newbie, but as far as offshore guys packing heat for us newbies that come a little to close, I need some help. I will read this and other boards for "What to do" tips, but what about the guys that just got their first boat, picked up a Hilton's, and headed for the rigs? Giving that guy a page or two if fishing etiquette may save them and y'all long time hard core guys some grief.

Is this feasable?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
That would be a good idea, those two have lots of experience.

HOWEVER, everyone has prejudices and pet peeves etc. and it seems to me the more experienced you are (except for a few), the more you wish for the old days of a lot less traffic and perhaps the less tolerant SOME (not necessarily Hilton and Ric) become.

I think it'd be great if the more experienced guys on THIS board could come up with a set of guidelines that are reasonable and practical in todays high fuel price, crowded ocean, tough fishing environment, that a high percentage of 2coolers could live with.

Rsnap, Cha-ching, Tom Hilton, etc., why don't y'all take a few minutes and tell the rest of us YOUR expectations, what's acceptable and what's not, cardinal sins, etc.

·
Old ******
4,519 Posts
My opinion is probably like cod liver oil...something you could easily do without...but I would tell any newbie that no one is going to pull a pistol or shotgun on you for getting too close to them. They may holler and cuss but if I get too close and someone does that I just move on. Other boats potlick me all the time and if they get too close I will either do my best to make friends with them and gently tell them such practice is uncalled for, or I will move to another spot after telling them that the bite there turned off a few minutes ago.

Offshore is a place to relax, let your imagination soar, contemplate the universe and generally loose the stress of the workplace. Those "type-A" guys who bring their crappy attitudes to the ocean are just not worth one second of my time.

Woe be to the loser who ever pulled a weapon out in my presence. The U.S. Coast Guard would be hailed and I'm sure the TDPS folks would be waiting for him when he got in. Etiquette is just a fancy word for common sense. Some have it...some don't.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I see signs all that the time that say "Drive Friendly" but some people are just azzholds and road-rage begins. So I doubt any guidelines would help. A lot of people are just complainers, they should take up golf. Just treat the other boaters like you would want to be treated and just ignore the azzholds.

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is some questions that I think guys don't learn in thier first trip, but could ****** off most you-

You come to a rig you want to fish - there is a boat there (or two). How can you fish that rig without attracting cursing? Hail them first? How far to stay away?

Same question, but drifting a wreck?

How about trolling? How much room do you give a guy infront trolling the same rig/weeline? If you want to get inline infront of someone - how much room do you give them?

How about a shrimp boat that is culling/anchored?

Anwsers to questions like these are what I was thinking of for Tom's and Rik's books.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Adding six pages of bogus numbers would defintly spread every one out.But if you want more numbers Texas A & M offers a shrimpers hang book from their Sea Grant Program , actually two of them , i believe one is near shore and the other is off shore hang ups.
A phone number that should help getting the book is ,, ,,,,979-862-3773,,,and all #`s are in loran td,,, look on the webb Sea grant Program, ,this ol gulf been around alot longer than rik and tom this is no way thier fault and there are more numbers out there,, the word is common sense as above stated

·
Banned
756 Posts
Jerry, I posted that question. I bet kayakers dont paddle up the clear creek and think they can just pull up to somebodies house on the bank and get out and walk in their back yard. Its called common sense. But if all thes guys are buying these two books why not write the publisher to forward the author. I know I study everything I can get my hands on before I start a new activity . I might not after a year or two but when starting hey .
If I am reading something and trying to follow a chart or map or book. Hotspots or where to wade book or the offshore things I would at least glance at a guidelines to observe offshore page. And somebody might be studying that as the ride out.May take to heart the adage of How close is too close. IF YOU HAVE TO ASK? Maybe they are a one time a year guy and not used to the gulf.
What can one page hurt. A publisher printing 10,000 copies or 700 its no big deal.

Then in a year or two maybe yall would have a few less poolickers. Still have some no doubt. Cause you cant fight stoopid.

·
Old ******
4,519 Posts
Jerry, good rule of thumb is that if you pull up to a rig and other are there just limit your activity to drift-fishing the platform or move on to another one. Trolling is different. Never cross another boat's bow when they are trolling. Never cross their stern close enough to tangle their lines, and remember, baits are often well back from their boat. For anchored boats over wrecks or structure just do your best to move well away if it is a big wreck and never get in their chum line. If it is a small wreck just go somewhere else. Simple rules. Keeps everyone happy.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
mcgolfer said:
whoa!!! valkyrie ....we don't need them a..holes on the golf course either....rick
amen to that, Rick. If you think you see tempers offshore, you should go to a packed muni on a Saturday.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
This might get a pot lickers attention. Just hang your butt over the side, full moon & all, I'll bet they'll head for less populated spots.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Put the instruction in a book? Aww come on now. That sounds like parents these days. Let the teachers teach my children respect, how to treat others etc. thats bull. If you dont have any respect or courtesy by now no book is gonna teach you. Just my thoughts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts