2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some posts about people changing the gears in the lower unit of the 115 TLDI to go from a ratio of 2.0:1 to 2.33:1. The 2.33:1 ratio fits in the factory lower unit and is actually used on the 75hp and 90hp outboards. Based on what I have read, changing out the gears on the 115 really improves performance...particularly hole shot. Obviously when changing the gear ratio a new prop is needed (larger pitch and maybe larger diameter). The problem I am having is that I have not been able to get any specific details from anyone who has tried this. What prop pitch and diameter was used with the original gear ratio vs the upgraded ratio? What was associated WOT RPMs and top speeds. Does the gear ratio change adversely affect top speed and more importantly does it really improve the hole shot?
To add to the confusion I recently spoke to a prop shop representative at the Houston Boat show and he suggested that changing the gear ratio to 2.33:1 would actually reduce my hole shot even if propped correctly. This seems to be counter to most of the literature I have read. In fact if you look at the majority of Suzuki outboards they have very large gear ratios (2.4:1 and 2.5:1) and it make sense that since they build 4-strokes they would want to do whatever they can to try to improve hole shot to compete with 2-strokes.
In any case since the change in gear ratio will cost money, I want to make sure that it is really worth it. I would be happy to hear if anyone has any thoughts or additional information. Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts