2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the verdict on whether or not to scalp your St. Augustine grass in the spring before the the new growth sets in?

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Yes! I have 2 customers/neighbors straight across the street from each other. One scalped, one didn't. The one that didn't has had a hard time thickening up. You can still see the brown grass (thatch) there too. After a big rain, their yard starts to show signs of needing to be watered within a few days. Mine and the other neighbor are good for a week at least after a rain.

We also got aerated a week or so ago. I know someone who works nights and aerates/mows on the side. He goes over the yard with Micro Life after he aerates too. If anyone wants his number please PM. He does the west/sw side of town. Though he said he went to Clear Lake once but had to charge extra.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fishin' Chick,

No. I was just curious. You know, every now and then you have one of those questions that you really want answered but you don't know where to find the experts. Well, I figured I could get an honest response here........on a fishing board.

......and yes, I do scalp. I just didn't know if I could do better by not doing it at all.

Thanks and Gig 'em.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Just remember to never cut more than 1/3 of the grass blade length off once it has started to grow or else you'll get a thatch problem. Cut more than 1/3 and the clipings can't decompose fast enough and they build up above the soil causing water to run off, like a thatch roof.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Ok

I have a question, since I never pretended to be a lawn expert what do yall consider "scalping?" Ive never done this, never had a problem with thickness, and was curious. Of course my yard was fertilized by cows for generations before I came along so needless to say I have "good" dirt around here. lol

Z

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I took mine down to the lowest setting on my mower. I mean scalped! Our lawn is the healthiest it has been in years. I have a beautiful thick yard for the first time since we have lived here.

I also did a hillbilly aeration job on it. That's right! I found yet another use for flounder gigs. lol. It seems to have worked. My neighbor is still scratching his head on that one but he envies our yard this year. :wink:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'll show ya next week Z when it's my turn to mow your yard!ROTFLMAO!!
********* said:
I have a question, since I never pretended to be a lawn expert what do yall consider "scalping?" Ive never done this, never had a problem with thickness, and was curious. Of course my yard was fertilized by cows for generations before I came along so needless to say I have "good" dirt around here. lol

Z

1 - 11 of 11 Posts