2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a Bill Dance fan, I frequently see him spraying some stuff called "Blakemore Real Magic" on his reel and line while fishing. So, I figured I would start using it since I do both fresh and salt water fishing. I don't have the most expensive reels on the market, but I do want to protect the investment that I have made. This stuff is suposed to lubricate the reel and prevent or retard line memory.

I have 2 Shimano open face spinning reels that I have used 12Lb Big Game on since I started fishing again a couple of years ago (another story) and have never had a single problem with bird nesting the spinning reels.

I went to Sportsman's Warehouse in April to get a new spool of the Big Game so I could put new line on my gear for the summer and decided to get some of the Real Magic. I have had several birdnests since using the product on the spinning reels, and 2 bird nests that were so bad that I had to cut the line off to the spool and start over.

I quit using the Real Magic figuring that was the only thing I was doing different on the spinning reels, so that must be the cause; or could it be a bad spool of Big Game?

Any other perspective or input on this stuff, or what I may be doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I use Reel Magic after a day on the water.....not durning. It is suppose to pull moisture from a surface. I don't think it's causing your backlash problem. I use braided line and have had no problem with my reels. I've been using it for the last 3 years. Just RM and lube no water.
Tight Knot

·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use braided line and have had no problem with my reels. I've been using it for the last 3 years. Just RM and lube no water. Tight Knot[/QUOTE said:
So you're saying not to rinse the reels down with the spotless rinse at the car wash when you're washing down the boat? I thought that was just a necessity after a day of salt water fishing.

I had someone else tell me to use a braid. How does it differ from the mono that I have been using?

·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PinStripe said:
extra limp and almost 0 memory
Let's not forget zero stretch? At least that is what I was told - also makes it more "sensitive." You can feel the nibbles better - set the hook better?

Learning about this stuff is like drinking from a fire hose.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
You might have spooled the new big game on the reels in the wrong direction which will cause it to twist and kink. let it all out behind the boat for a while and reel it back on it should lay straight then.

·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kenny said:
You might have spooled the new big game on the reels in the wrong direction which will cause it to twist and kink. let it all out behind the boat for a while and reel it back on it should lay straight then.
If you don't have a spooling machine, just a spool of line and a rod and reel, do you want the label up or down?

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
I use the reel magic when storing my gear. I wash them off and then spray them with it. So far it seems to work good.
I have always wondered why BD sprays it on his line while fishing...don't make sence, but I would guess it's a sponser thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts