2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of at a cross roads with my working adulthood notice( i didnt say career ). Seeing that where Im at right now, Im 28 and my bosses are in their 50's. I dont think they can retire in 15 years nor do I want to wait that long for a decent jump up the ladder. The pay is adequate (Who feels that they are overpaid?). Im starting to see why their is a 25-30 year gap. Thinking about chipping away at a MBA. I know it probably wont benefit my current job situation any but Im not married to this company(they dont offer tuition reimbursement) either.

Any advice from those who have and or working on building above a BS degree?

Maybe some Pros and Cons

Thanks

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
My sister got hers fast. I can't remember how long it took her but after she got it her company immeadiately jumped up her pay and I think it opens a whole new ceiling for her pay grade wise. As for me, I never made it to college and make more money than her

·
fish control my brain
7,738 Posts
I know some people with MBA's doing the same job as me making the same money.

I also know some guys with law degrees and they are waiting tables......

Its all relative......if you can do the work and hang with the big dogs, who needs the peice of paper....IT MERLY gets your foot in the door for the interview.

I assure you, just because you have it, it does not mean you will be rewarded for it.

·
Member since 1999
1,137 Posts
I got mine pretty much at the same time in career as you. It will open doors...maybe not immediately....but definitely in the long run whether at your company or by changing jobs. Personally, my MBA helped at current company but took a little while after finishing....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
There is never anything wrong with furthering your education. If you're looking for a career change that requires you to have a MBA or it will open up other doors for you, then go for it. If your current company will give you a substantial raise, then do it. I've known a few people that have gotten their MBA and their current employer just give's them a pat on the back, and says nice personal accomplishment. If you have the time and want to apply yourself to making it work for you in some way, then I would suggest you do it. Best of luck!

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
What do you do, or what do you want to do? That's the biggest question if you are considering a MBA. I've been off-and-on working on mine for a while, and am a little over halfway through it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I started my MBA right after finishing my bachelors because I knew I would not go back. It took about 3 years to finish. It was a lot of extra work on top of a busy life but I feel it was worth it. It did nothing for the job I currently have. There is no telling what it could open up for me later. There are jobs that require a bachelors and jobs that require a graduate degree now I can do both. As stupid as it is, sometimes all that makes a difference is that piece of paper.

·
ShallowSport - 24 Mod V
284 Posts
Earned my MBA a couple years back at 28. Most important to me is feeling that I have more security in a down marketplace. Have seen that paper work wonders for people who barely earn their pay. Imagine what it can do for someone who is on their game...

·
Registered
155 Posts
What profession are you in.

I am in the same boat just a little older (33). My problem is just like Ckill stated, I just can't seem to get myself back in school. If you don't mind going, what could it hurt. I have worked my way up in a company, but to change jobs I can not get paid what I make now without a masters or cpa it looks like.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mark and others - I highly recommend you get a couple of years of experience under your belt first. In fact, most of the top 30 schools require 2 years of work experience now. I just finished my MBA at SMU's Cox School of Business last December, but I did the professional program and took classes at night/on the weekend. It took two years (same amount of time), I met a TON of people, had better professors (their day job was practicing what they taught, so they were only available in the evening to teach) and I didn't have to forego my salary.

I am about to make the switch from corporate finance to consulting, which I would not have been able to do without my MBA. Have an idea of what you want to get out of it before you go back to school, but be open to change. Initially, I wanted to do investment banking, but the I met my soon-to-be wife and my priorities changed. I didn't jump on the first job after school and waited until I found something that suited my lifestyle (soon to be working for a consulting firm that doesn't make me travel and pays OT if I have to work over 40 hrs).

If you have any more questions, add on to this thread or shoot me a PM.

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
1,180 Posts
Per the wall street journal

CaseyS said:
Kind of at a cross roads with my working adulthood notice( i didnt say career ). Seeing that where Im at right now, Im 28 and my bosses are in their 50's. I dont think they can retire in 15 years nor do I want to wait that long for a decent jump up the ladder. The pay is adequate (Who feels that they are overpaid?). Im starting to see why their is a 25-30 year gap. Thinking about chipping away at a MBA. I know it probably wont benefit my current job situation any but Im not married to this company(they dont offer tuition reimbursement) either.

Any advice from those who have and or working on building above a BS degree?

Maybe some Pros and Cons

Thanks
Unless your going to the top10 schools it isnt really worth it, especially if your paying. So sorry to say....That being said, I chose to get an MS in something really specialized and have a crazy in demand hard to find technical skill set.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
My wife is in grad school working on her MBA and she will be finished in September. It has taken a toll on her and me since she has been also working in a management capacity thruout the 2 year program but is undoubtably worth it. She got a new job with the same company this year (that required a MBA or being in an MBA program) that she would not have qualified for otherwise. A pretty hefty pay raise also. There are big companies out there that will not even look at your resume for certain positions without having an Masters or higher degree. I say go for it if you can commit to finishing it. It definately cannot hurt you EVER.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have one. I used to work for a company that valued them and now I own a own company and value it even more. An MBA not only exposes to you to different course material it also exposes you to different methodolgy for breaking down and solving problems. I enjoyed the MBA program much more than my undergrad program. As was said earlier, if you are going to get one - get one from a Top 20 B-School.

Of course, there are two sides to every coin and there are many successful people that never made it through college - i.e. I think Michael Dell has done ok for himself.

If you are a pretty motivated individual and have the means to make it happen - I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ditto bullethead-

I got a GED and a Bach from SHSU but wish now I more education. I have an MBA working for me now and some of the stuff he puts out would mean alot more if I had studied harder. Get it and you will not regret it but remember its not the key to success.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Unless you just absolutely hate law, I would suggest law school over an MBA for both better pay and job security. I would worry about a change in ownership or falling out of favor working for a company and then be out looking for a job with kids in college and probably in a soft job market. Get through law school, pass the bar, hang your shingle, and to heck with bosses!

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
MustangOrange said:
Mark and others - I highly recommend you get a couple of years of experience under your belt first.
If you have any more questions, add on to this thread or shoot me a PM.
I should have been more specific. I intend on getting into the Masters of Science of Accounting program right after my BBA in financial consulting. The Big 4 seem to have quite an appetite for new CPA's these days. My advisor recommended the experience route for the MBA program, though (which I might still do).

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Life is one looooong IQ test with rewards proportionate to the value of the questions.

This is one of YOUR questions.

I'll bet that you already know the answer.

ntd

1 - 20 of 39 Posts