2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you go out fishing and you come in about 11:00pm and are beat. Will it harm the motor if you do not flush it till the morning? We have been having some discussions about this at work. I'm going to be in Rockport for a week and I am renting a boat slip. Will I have to figure out a way to flush it every day? It is 115 Yammi. Need advice or what would you do? thanks.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
If you let it sit why bother flushing at all ???

if allowed to harden you will not break loose the salt deposits simply by flushing ...you have to flush when it's hot....

John

·
POC chunker
9,207 Posts
Flush it right away while the motor is still warm. There's a better chance the thermostats will open in the 10 minutes or so you run it to do a better flush than if the motor were cold. Also, the warmer water running through the block dissolves dried salt better than cold water.

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By ya'lls comments sounds like I win the argument. I told them it should be done immediately no matter how late they come in. thanks

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Don't flush at all!

if your using it all week Why flush it at all. Flush it when you get back home>. Gater

·
88 Ag
6,224 Posts
I called the company that make the flush called Salt Away and asked them if I went on vacation for a week and used the engine everyday does it need to be flushed with Salt away after each day or just after the whole trip? Their answer was as long as you use it each day then flush with Salt away at the end of the vacation. They said it takes 3-4 days for the white calcium stuff to harden to where it will not flush on a normal flush.

·
Capt. Johnd
504 Posts
Think about it!

I run twenty minutes to my hole. The motor is good-in-hot. Then stop and fish for an hour. The salt water in the motor due to the temperature has drained and evaporated. The minerals have solidified to the water channels inside the engine per a previous Post. What about the long trailer ride home? Baloney, I live on West Bay with a 96, 200 Big Johnson with 600 hours on it. I work on my engine and I do not have any problems with corrosion internal to my engine. I will fish early in the morning and the boat will sit in the sling until I fish again that evening. The engine is not flushed until that night. I will flush the engine daily even if I'm be out again going the next day.

Put a temp gauge on your engine and monitor the temperature throughout the year. If your getting a rise in temperature from the norm then investigate the cause. If you are that concerned, pull your thermostats and look into the water jacket channels.

My fishing partner has a 90 Yamaha and he never flushes. I disagree with his philosophy but he has not had any problems with his motor in the last five years.

The answer is No. I would recommend flushing at least at the end of each day of use and change your water pump on a regular basis.

I have stopped posting but I could not pass this one up.

·
88 Ag
6,224 Posts
To add to that, this scenario happens quite often, Let's say just like peelin drag said you fish all day and then (my scenario) turn off engines at 11pm and go to sleep. Only the difference is you are tied up to a rig 100 miles offshore instead of the dock. Then fish the next day. Now obviously you can't flush the engines 100 miles offshore and they arent' gonna be ruined so to speak in that scenario. It doesn't matter if you flush them out the next morning.

·
Purveyor of Worthless Knowledge
557 Posts
Does everyone run their motor while flushing with a hose? I talked to Yamaha and they recommended that I just use the flush connection on my 200 OX 66 and not run it. I asked cause I tried to run it on the flush connection and the water pressure was less then 5 psi. Only tried it for less than 20 seconds then quit running it and just flushed it. They said there is probably more damage done to outboards where people flush while running and they over heated for some reason like low water pressure. I usually flush mine in both the down and tilted up position. Usually about 5 minutes while clean the boat. Never go a day of fishing without flushing but then I never have been anywhere where this would be a problem such as where the boat gets left in the water.

Flushing earlier may not be better than waiting to later in the day or overnight but it can't be worse. I flush as soon as practical.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So if we flush as soon as is practical, which seems like the best overall advice, is the Salt Away stuff of any real value or just a sales gimmic that you are just as well off without?

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
I have heard of useing Fabric Softner and you get the same cleaning but I'm not trying it ...lol....

John

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O.k. I always flush my boat as soon as I get home. But when I leave galv east bay, stop to eat and then drive and drop off fishing partners about three hours have transpired. The engine definately isn't warm anymore. I use the Salt Terminator that Academy sells when I flush. Gimmick or not. I agree with Spotsndots, he's done his research about Salt Away. There will be times like those he mentioned. There are times when it can't be done immediately. My main deal is that I don't know if I can flush everyday being in a boat slip all week. I'm just gonna fish and run all over Aransas, and Copano Bay. Will flush when vacation over.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I flush my '99 60 Yamaha maybe once a month if I think about it. I did just have an over-heating problem and replaced my seven year old water pump. Problem solved.

I do run the engine almost daily and maintanence is not my middle name. LOL

I'd like to know Aubrey's maintanence routine in Baffin.

·
TopWater Tango
895 Posts
IMO, if you don't put the muffs on your water intake and start the motor, you've done no good. When I'm off fishing for a day or two, I use the flush hose on my 225 V-Max, while I rinse the boat after a day of fishing. I try to do this while the motor is still warm, but I'm sure the water @ the car wash cools it down quick.

After my day or two of fishing, and I'm back home cleaning up the boat to go back in the garage. I put the muffs her and run it till the water coming out the pee hole is warm, I'm hoping the thermostat opened and I'm getting the fresh water throughout the motor and the salt rinses away.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
Salt Away is a good thing to use for a quick coating after the real thorough fresh water flush. It's also a good soap to use in a bucket to scrub out the boat and clean off all the fish guts...at least that's what I've heard...LOL

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I tie up at my buddy's place for several days at a time and never worry about flushing the engine. When the boat is taken out of the water it is flushed with the motor on and off. I have the water pump changed every three years or so.
Tight Knot

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
I flush mine with the Academy Salt Terminator or whatever brand it is on Sunday before I put the boat up til the next trip. I just use the Flush connection on back of the motor but I don't start it. My Merc Mechanic said using that quick connect does not get water to the impeller. I have to buy a set of muffs I guess for a good freshwater flush then the Salt Terminator rinse when I go to put it up for the winter.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
i have run johnson motors for over 20 years and never flushed them. replaced a couple thermos and water pumps. i have only blown 1 motor, due to the use of blue marble oil. i do not run my engines hard. i better knock on wood after this post. lol

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
I'm like some of you and my boat sits in a sling on the water. I have a 200 johnson. I don't flush it after every use because it's a real pain to do this, but flush it before I go home after a weekend or a week.

I asked my mechanic about this and he said the main thing is not to let too much build up accumulate in the cooling system. There's not much on a Johnnyrude that is going to corrode. Buildup is the big problem.

When you do flush, use ear muffs so you get the entire cooling system flushed, not just the engine. Also, let the engine heat up so that you are getting warm water out of the pee hole. On my boat that's about 3 minutes when the engine is cold. Then I run it for another 3 minutes.

Said clean water will disolve the salt and other minerals pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Good Yamaha mechanic told me to make sure I used the big muffs that flow water to both sides for the larger v-6's. I run mine on the hose before every trip to make sure it starts before driving somewhere and again when we get home. On my older 2 stroke it will idle at 1100 till it gets warm then drop to 600 rpm. I normally let it run a couple of minutes after it gets out of cold mode. 1000 hours with no cooling system trouble. I replace the impeller myself every 200 hours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts