Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
HT Redfish Series
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Emailed to our offices earlier today.
You cant burn and I think alot of people are not fishing due to this rule. We would like to but can't do it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I find it interesting in the launching of our new tour in Louisiana, Florida and now Texas that Texas anglers are more concerned, request to be allowed to and down right say they won't fish if they can't "burn shorelines and flats" looking for redfish.

Does the other trails like Xtreme Redfish and Texas Redfish Series actually allow this practice of blazing back and forth down a shoreline or a flat to "stir up" and "out" the fish before circling back to cast to them?

The image of this is that it's not good for the enviroment, we already have tree huggers that would love to shut down all tournaments because of "perceived" damage to shorelines and such. As anglers do you guys really have to locate your fish this way?

I always heard redfish traveled in huge schools. Compared to bass fishing where anglers flip, pitch or cast blindly to areas that look like they would have fish, does redfish anglers really have to "spook" up their potential catch before feeling comfortable casting to them?

·
HT Redfish Series
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's kinda funny to me too... we have never had 1 person ask about it till our Texas series.. over 1000 anglers in Louisiana, Florida.... etc.. but some Texas guys are acting like you are taking the motor off their boat and making them paddle.. Just curious what other trails out there do...

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Most of the tours tell people not to burn shorelines and flats. How can they enforce it, unless it is really blatant...like a few "checkerboard" patterns I've seen some fellas run on flats.

Here's what I've noticed. If you are in a tower boat and running in less than 4 feet of water, folks will say you are "burning". If you are in a wrapped boat, you'll be accused of "burning" at a depth of 6' or less.

I've many times wondered if people would have called the tactic "scouting" instead of "burning", would people have the same emotions about it.

ex: Gilbert and his partner were careful not to uproot the seagrass as they were "scouting" their favorite flat. Then they went home to burn.

·
HT Redfish Series
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that is why I answered an angler who said, how can you enforce it.. with .. we polygraph and you'll be asked about it there... and it will be the intent that catches you...

If you are just running along and some fish come up and you shut down to fish, only you know if you were just going to point a to point b or if you were specifically "burning" to locate those fish.

So if a guy wants to chance it on a polygraph that is a big chance.. again.. were they INTENTIONALLY practicing in a manner THEY KNEW to be considered burning...

First of all is the law.. Is it legal to run at med to top speeds along a shoreline or within how many feet?.. Another words this practice may be Illegal, not sure, but curious if with all the tree huggers and such that there is not distance rules and laws that anglers have to obey...

I guess, to me, pre fishing should or atleast used to entail making cast.. Now anglers just run, spook up and mark on gps to "pre fish"... ??? Shouldn't that be called pre running? :)

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
I wouldn't ever do it!

I was pre-fishing a tournament, wading a shell bar in approximately 3.5' of water, 75 yards off the shoreline. My boat was anchored about 40 yards off of the shoreline. As the sun was barely breaking the horizion, a litte scooter boat came down the shoreline about 35mph in 2-2 1/2' of water, behind my boat. Radio blaring & people having to yell to be heard over it. I don't think they were burning looking for fish as it was too early to see very good. I believe they were doing it just because they could. I shure hope they followed their trail the next time they came buzzing through there. We left them a nice little pile of busted cinderblock we found on the shoreline across their prop scar. I don't care if it is legal or not. In this case it wasn't right or safe to come around behind us like that. I personally feel it is harassing & exploiting the fish. sad3sm

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
I was pre-fishing a tournament, wading a shell bar in approximately 3.5' of water, 75 yards off the shoreline. My boat was anchored about 40 yards off of the shoreline. As the sun was barely breaking the horizion, a litte scooter boat came down the shoreline about 35mph in 2-2 1/2' of water, behind my boat. Radio blaring & people having to yell to be heard over it. I don't think they were burning looking for fish as it was too early to see very good. I believe they were doing it just because they could. I shure hope they followed their trail the next time they came buzzing through there. We left them a nice little pile of busted cinderblock we found on the shoreline across their prop scar. I don't care if it is legal or not. In this case it wasn't right or safe to come around behind us like that. I personally feel it is harassing & exploiting the fish. sad3sm
i hope some father and son in a boat dont hit it...

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
ur the biggest jerk on the water

I have to say that is the most irresponsible thing I have ever read on here. What gives you the right to decide where people can run their boat. I hope I don't run over anything that resembles what you described where i fish. You and I will have a serious problem and it will be more than words. Your actions are totally out of line and if you have any brains at all you will remove that obstruction immediately. Finally I have to say you are an ***-HOLE.

chuck

·
PGA Member
7,828 Posts
i hope some father and son in a boat dont hit it...
I have to say that is the most irresponsible thing I have ever read on here. What gives you the right to decide where people can run their boat. I hope I don't run over anything that resembles what you described where i fish. You and I will have a serious problem and it will be more than words. Your actions are totally out of line and if you have any brains at all you will remove that obstruction immediately. Finally I have to say you are an ***-HOLE.

chuck
I agree, green for you boys

·
Banned
26,286 Posts

chuck
Actually the idea did cross my mind, but I didn't do it. Just wanted to get a rise out of the scooter boat shore burners. I still don't think it's very sportsman like though. Finally, you should really lighten up & consider increasing the dosage of your medication. :help:

·
Custom User Title
1,096 Posts
Actually the idea did cross my mind, but I didn't do it. Just wanted to get a rise out of the scooter boat shore burners. I still don't think it's very sportsman like though. Finally, you should really lighten up & consider increasing the dosage of your medication. :help:
DuckHead comments, DH.

When did 2Cool end up getting a bunch of guys who are just trying to get a rise out of the rest of us?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Forward please

I would like to have the moderators of this forum forward this thread to TP&W and also the Coast Guard. This kind of behavior has happened before and will continue if this is not reported. I guess the next thing you will do is burn down the guys cabin if you don't like seeing him throw croaker.

I don't think this destructive behavior is funny and there are some young people who follow this board that don't need any ideas. I have found steel frames sticking out of the water down south that i know were not there the week before. In high traffic areas, if it is being done ententionally that is a real shame.

I hope for everyones sake your post was a joke, I for on don't think that is very funny.

chuck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Blk Jck,

U should really read the laws concerning booby traps, lying in wait, sabotage, etc. i wouldn't post about anything that remotely breaks these laws as they are felonies. I'm sure you were just venting, but you never know who is listening. And some of the younger sportsman might be impressionable. JMHO

·
PGA Member
7,828 Posts
Blk Jck,

U should really read the laws concerning booby traps, lying in wait, sabotage, etc. i wouldn't post about anything that remotely breaks these laws as they are felonies. I'm sure you were just venting, but you never know who is listening. And some of the younger sportsman might be impressionable. JMHO
Amen

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
So

:spineyes: So what's the difference between that and chunking a superspook or lead weight's, or some of the other thing's people have mentioned on this topic in the past when it comes to this subject. Railbird you mentioned more than once you don't burn the shoreline so you should not have to worry. Just because your boat will float in 6 inches of water doesn't mean you have to run it there. Gater

·
Team Coastline Marine
698 Posts
So you are telling me that anglers in LA do not burns ponds looking for big redfish? I know of a bunch of teams that do it... Are you gonna ask the question on the polygraph about burning in LA ?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.