2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several post about TLD's breaking at the base. Does anyone know what models and what caused it? drag locked down? old models? What's up? I have two TLD50II, these are my only two speed reels on the boat and this makes me nervous.Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The one that happened on my boat was a brand new model with 80 pound line on it. It was a cusomters reel and it gave way on a 200 pound class yellowfin.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Just catch smaller fish (or fight them longer with lighter drags). I use the TLD20's with 30 lb line, and so far, they are great (considering the price)... Once I have the pleasure of seeing one break, I'll step up to the Internationals or something like it...but with a new boat...new electronics...new rods...reels...tackle, etc... my money tree is looking a bit bare. Time to let it re-bloom for a while and enjoy the $129.00 TLD's instead of the $500.00+ "others".

·
fish control my brain
7,735 Posts
snapper steve said:
I have read several post about TLD's breaking at the base. Does anyone know what models and what caused it? drag locked down? old models? ....two TLD50II, ..........
Its the 50 two speeds.....its from being over loaded with Braided and using high drag pressure.

Not only will the base break, but the whole frame will crack and lock up.

Deffinetlt not cool if your in a tournament $$$$$$$

You might be able to buy frams for them but not sure......

Call FTU or Charkbait in Califorina

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have seen both a 20 and a 30 break at the base, one on a 90lb wahoo and the other on something huge we never saw. There is a reason all the big boys have gold hanging off the back!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
We were the ones fishing w/ Eddie. TLD 50II, 18#s of drag 80# line, not heavy drag, and only mono. The problem is when you are using a harness, the pull up from harness and the pull down from a big fish. I was told by somebody at Cut Rate that another one came in a week after I took mine in, and you could have interchanged the two different reels and reel seats, the breaks were that close. CR did put a new frame on for me.
Rob C

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
why put harness loops on it if they dont hold up???? freakin shimano. Start looking for a deal/sale on an alum. reel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
we had it happen on our TLD 50's with a 450-500 pound blue marlin on.
the first one broke and we cut the line, then tied a double uni knot to another one and went at it again. The second one broke about 30 miniutes after that one so we did the same trick again (this is the same fish) but this time we stripped some line off of a penn 80w, took some wraps on the line, cut it, charged forward to the fish and hurridly tied another double uni knot. then cranked like hell to get the knot onto the reel. after 2 1/2 hours, two broken 50's, and a whole lot of luck, we landed, tagged and released a blue that was estimated between 450 and 500 punds. this was all on stand up and all out of a center console boat. you may consider writing shimano and telling them whats happening, we did and they made it RIGHT for us. i will say they did us very good. they stand behind their product.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I did see SOMEWHERE (can't remember)...a post of some outfit in Waco (I think) that mills out of alum. full housings for the TLD's...and they can anodize them different colors. Anyone know of this? It seemed to be a quick and easy exchange of the frames and the cost was approx $100.

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
SSNJohn's TLD30 2 speed broke at the base on some yellowfin action a few weeks back. I think he took pictures, maybe he will post them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tld 30 II

As Brad posted above, my TLD 30 II broke at the base a couple of weeks ago on the Possession Limit. The tuna was probably 40-45 lbs, drag at ~ 15-16 lbs with 65 lb braid, very close to the boat to be released, and I was probably horsing it so I could catch another one. After the fact, I believe it may have been some operator error and I might not have been using(holding) the rod properly.

Long story short, called Shimano and they said send it in. Worse case would be $75 and 10 weeks turn around. I kind of reacted to that, but more about the 10 weeks than the money. The guy on the phone asked me how many Shimano reels I owned. He then asked me to send it to his attention and he would see what he could do. Received it back this weekend (just under 2 weeks) and no charge other than my shipping to CA. Looks like a new one other than the piece of braid I left on it when I removed the line before sending in.

I am happy with the outcome, but I will be more careful how I handle the rod with a harness on if I am using a TLD. Having the reel in your hands(not on the rod) with a tuna on could be a bad thing. Brad is quick with a knife.

SSNJOHN

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wached a tld 50 two speed explode on a hook up on the Big E a couple of months ago....braid for sure although it seemed to be an older reel.

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
Alum Frame

I saw an aluminum frame on eebbfor the TTLDII0. I think it was called WWolffish I have no opinion of them. I'll just keep mine spooled with 50# mono and try not to horse&nnbspwith on the harness.

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
Oops! English translation

I saw an aluminum frame for the TLDII50 on ebay. I think it was called Willfish. I have no opinion of them. I'll just keep mine spooled with 50# mono and try not to horse it with the harness.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have caught fish all over the world on tld 30' and 50's. Some pretty big ones too. Never broke one. Normally spooled with 30 and 50 mono with drags set at 8lbs and 12 lbs. Best tuna was 208 lbs on a 30 and best blue marlin was around 450 also on a 30. Both in Venezuela. All on profesional boats with profesional crews.

·
archTech
8,719 Posts
No harness...no issues

450# Black Marlin in Cabo on a 50LRS, no harness, stand up, then went to chair, no problems...worked like a champ at 22#'s of drag. Oh yeah, the fish was leadered after 38 minutes... and no, we did not back down on the fish.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had two break on me. I will never, never, never again buy a graphite reel. They break off at the reel seat to reel connection. I tossed my two tdl's overboard. If its not made out of aluminum either die cast or machined, I wont buy it. I'm just hard on tackle and I expect it to perform. I do love Shimano products but that tdl is junk. They should take it off the market.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts