2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for lightweight rods to pair with our Shimano CI4 reels. I did a bit a looking and decided that the Fenwick® EliteTECH Spinning Rod with Titanium frame guides with zirconium inserts would fit the bill.

We used the rods three times, all seemed to be what I expected, lightweight, sensitive ... but yesterday, on the fourth trip, one guide's ring on my rod broke off and the zirconium insert fell off. Huh? Then soon after, one guide on my wife's rod just broke cleanly at the base. WTH? Both rods are practically brand new and well-maintained.

Per Wikipedia, Titanium has a low density and is a strong, corrosion-resistant (including sea water, aqua regia and chlorine). So this was the main selling point and decision for buying these rods.

So I wonder if this is a case of material defect or design defect? I compared the titanium frame guides on my Fenwick to guides on my Castaway, Allstar and Falcon rods, and indeed the titanium guides are much thinner/slimmer. So perhaps it is a design defect -- too thin, IMHO.

Comments/observations on your rods with titanium guides?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Titanium guides are the best for corrosion resistance but are not as durable as stainless. Bend a titanium guide back and restraighten one too many times and it will break.

In my opinion the best guides to use are stainless steel guides made with 316 grade stainless and powder coated black. Properly taken care of they will definitely outlast titanium guides in the durability dept. and last for years against corrosion.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Not all titanium guides are created equal. Here's one Co.'s version...decent design for the larger guides, but the #6 running guide is pizz-poor. You can see where it might break. Had several fail...JUNK! I'm w/ Lance on the coated 316SS.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no, rods are practically new and the guides were untouched or bent. The ones that broke off from my two rods are 3rd and 4th largest (size?). So I would expect any of the guides would break anytime and soon.

>but the #6 running guide is pizz-poor.
Well, even that one is beefier than the ones I had!!! Lessons learned. I will stay with the proven SS as suggested by Swampland.

·
The Rod Man
621 Posts
90% of the rods I build are the 316SS. Great in the durability area. As stated, the Titanium will stress and break after several attempts of straightening. BTW, when they boast 100% Titanium frame it is really a blend of Titanium and Nickel, Titanium alone is not strong enough and needs blending with other alloys.

Pods

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
90% of the rods I build are the 316SS. Great in the durability area. As stated, the Titanium will stress and break after several attempts of straightening. BTW, when they boast 100% Titanium frame it is really a blend of Titanium and Nickel, Titanium alone is not strong enough and needs blending with other alloys.

Pods
Correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts