2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a Titan XD 4x4 Diesel for less driveout than any other half ton 4x4 gas truck out there. I dont do as much towing as I used to but might get a travel trailer in the future. What are y'alls thoughts on this truck?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Capable truck. It's on the upper-end of what any gas 1500 series truck can tow but a little less than a typical 2500. I really like the power plant but most people say that the mileage is not as good as a typical diesel power plant. They call it an XD or heavy half. I believe they have a 100K mile warranty as well. My B-I-L has one and likes it.

How much $$$ are they talking?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It's amazing how much truck prices have gone up. I got my f350 platinum for $53k in October 2013.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
As near as I can tell I have one of the only XD Pro-4X with a GAS engine in the free world.....so I can't comment on the dsl eng but I will say that I have had the gasser Pro-4X XD for almost a year and love it. Terrific leather interior with lots of rear seat leg room and 6' 6'' bed. 18" wheels (better tire selection) and matching spare tire and wheel. 4WD with locker rear diff, goose neck hitch factory install, bed rail package, LED bed and cargo lights, trailer brake controller with trailer light test with key remote, stiff but very quiet ride, very solid tow with 26' tongue trailer. If the EPA ever dumps the emission BS intended to put dsl out of business I'll consider going back. I had three Ram dsl's and a Duramax all pre DEF and of course enjoyed the added power in the mountains, but the 5.6 Nissan eng pulls well (and gets the crappy mileage expected of a 350 cubic incher). One data point that isn't often mentioned about the DSL XD is that the Aison transmission is the same Chrysler uses in the RAM 3500 so probably pretty capable behind the Cummins. The 5 year 100k warranty was a big factor when I was comparing brands. Some may not like the look of the Titan (does kinda look like a ford) but it looks darn good from the inside. Good luck.

·
Banned
187 Posts
I am 42,000 miles on a XD-Pro4x diesel. Rides way more comfortable than the Tundra I traded in. Tows the camper and boat better than Tundra ever could as well. One down side, it has the turning radius of a big yellow school bus. I am very happy with the purchase, real world I average 18 mpg.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't own one, but had a guy do some dozer work for me last week with one. He pulled a JD650 70 mph, 96 miles and burned 1/4 of a tank. I followed him, saw this with my own eyes. I crawled under his truck when we got there and everything under it is beefier than my truck (2008 3/4 ton Duramax). His tow rating is 3k more than my truck. I wouldn't hook up to the load he pulled with my truck, at least not to hual that far. I'll be looking at them hard when it's time for a new one. I was VERY impressed with his truck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,812 Posts
I don't own one, but had a guy do some dozer work for me last week with one. He pulled a JD650 70 mph, 96 miles and burned 1/4 of a tank. I followed him, saw this with my own eyes. I crawled under his truck when we got there and everything under it is beefier than my truck (2008 3/4 ton Duramax). His tow rating is 3k more than my truck. I wouldn't hook up to the load he pulled with my truck, at least not to hual that far. I'll be looking at them hard when it's time for a new one. I was VERY impressed with his truck.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, but if a half ton truck with a smaller/less power diesel can haul that, I'd hook right up to it and go down the road.. (same truck as yours, 2006.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not saying you are wrong or anything, but if a half ton truck with a smaller/less power diesel can haul that, I'd hook right up to it and go down the road.. (same truck as yours, 2006.)
I wont say I'm right. My truck would pull that load. I don't know if it would pull it as well as the Nissan did, and I don't think I could do it without having some transmission temp worries over that distance. His truck did it without a care. I have pulled some pretty good loads with mine, and my transmission temp creeps up over time. His hardly got above normal. I might could out pull his, idk, but I do know his pulled and stopped 25000+ and did it very well. That's impressive for a "half ton"

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,812 Posts
No need to get defensive or anything, just having a good normal conversation. It's our own opinions.. but I just personally can't see a half ton being able to yank something better than a true 3/4 diesel. You think you may have leaking transmission cooler lines on yours? That was the only "common problem" on our trucks. Previous owner on mine fixed them before I bought it and Ive never seen it get over 200 hauling heavy

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ill call BS on that all day long. That's every bit of 20K. IF he did it that was dangerous as hell but I don't think he could get to 70 mph down hill.

You can tow that with your 3/4 Duramax if you take it easy. You wont be doing 70mph.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Umm, no.

The Titan uses 9 1/2" AAM axles and the Duramax (and Dodge) use the 11 1/2" AAM axle
Ok, I didn't look up any specifics, and I probably should have. All I did was have a brief look at frame and brakes, they both to me looked beefier. I guess in text when I said everything, it's easy to think I meant everything, and that it was researched. Either way the truck impressed the hell out of me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No need to get defensive or anything, just having a good normal conversation. It's our own opinions.. but I just personally can't see a half ton being able to yank something better than a true 3/4 diesel. You think you may have leaking transmission cooler lines on yours? That was the only "common problem" on our trucks. Previous owner on mine fixed them before I bought it and Ive never seen it get over 200 hauling heavy
Not defensive at all, just stating the facts. ( His truck/my truck). My transmission temp creeps with a heavy load, his didn't. I could have problems with mine that I'm not aware of. All I was getting at in my original post was the truck impressed me. And that I believe it did better than what mine would do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ill call BS on that all day long. That's every bit of 20K. IF he did it that was dangerous as hell but I don't think he could get to 70 mph down hill.

You can tow that with your 3/4 Duramax if you take it easy. You wont be doing 70mph.
You can call what you want, all day long and you would be wrong all day long.

The part about it being unsafe, I won't argue with that.

Him pulling it 70-75 mph, with a Titan XD I can assure you happened. I followed him there and back.

As I said earlier, MY truck would not do it without having temp issues.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nissan Heavy Half Ton

Pulling 20-25,000lbs? He is lucky he got where he was going and glad nobody got run over when he couldn’t stop the load he was pulling.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I purchased a used 4x4 Platinum Reserve '17 Titan XD diesel in October that had 12,000 miles and have been very pleased with the truck. If you need a little more towing than a 1/2 ton but not as much as a 3/4 ton, it will be a great truck. The drive and ride is great. If you need help making up your mind, check out "The Fast Lane Truck" channel on YouTube. He has a lot of real world towing and test on the Titan XD. http://www.youtube.com/user/tflcar. Do a search for the Titan XD.

My best empty mileage was 18.5 mpg. While pulling a 12' utility trailer with a Polaris Ranger crew to San Antonio and back was 11.2 mpg. I am not the person that resets the fuel mileage every tank. Currently, my truck shows around 15.5 mpg. That's around 3000 miles combination of pulling trailers and empty driving.

I can assure you that it does not and will not pull as good as the 3/4 ton diesels. My BIL has a '16 Ram 2500 diesel and pulling that same trailer and ranger to San Antonio and back he gets around 13 and it does not notice the hills. My Titan XD will kick down on hills pulling the trailer and ranger. His Ram got 19.3 on a trip from the valley coming home from a dove hunt. I flew to Tulsa and drove my Titan home. After 650 miles of driving, the mileage was 18.5 when I pulled in the driveway.

The biggest complaint with the truck is the when the emissions system goes into Regen. It will drop to 10 mpg for about 15 to 20 miles. We can thank the EPA for that. All of the current diesels Regen. The only way to get around the regens and DEF is to do a "delete". Unfortunately, it will void the warranty.

The factory goose neck and spray-in bed liner are nice factory installed options as well as the LED lights in the bed. There is a ton of room in the back seat. I think it may be more than the big 3 trucks. Hope this helps. Thanks, Steven

1 - 20 of 71 Posts