2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Love to fish!
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I'm hoping to get a few tips from the pro and semi-pros here about shooting action girls volleyball shots indoors. My daughter will be in a camp/tournament in Austin this weekend.

I mostly shoot outdoors wildlife and such and have average rookie skills. I have a Nikon D70 with 18-70 and 70-300 lens.

Any suggestions on how to get good results in with this equipment and these conditions would be much appreciated.

TM

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm no pro by a long shot, but you'll want to bump up your ISO to the fastest setting (1600 on my camera), and you'll want to use the fastest lens you have, probably the shorter zoom you mentioned. I don't know about Nikons, but Canon makes a very fast and cheap (about $70) 50mm prime lens that works pretty well for me on indoor basketball action. Maybe there's a Nikon equivalent.

·
Registered
165 Posts
shooting volleyball

My daughter plays club volleyball and I have shot many pictures, none of which i think come out very good because of poor lighting conditions (I dont use flash for concern of player distractions) and fast movements. Ya dont think they move very fast until you try to zoom in and pan with them and dang they move. The best way I have found is to shoot in sequential frame mode and you may get one good frame out of five frames. Good thing for digital you can do this and not worry about the number of exposures. Get yourself a big memory card. Set your ISO as fast as you can. I look thru the eyepiece with one eye while allowing my other eye not looking thru the camera to follow the play, as I begin to shoot the picture I allow my eye looking thru the camera to take over just as I take the shot.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Faster lenses will help out - faster meaning wider apertures (lower f-stop numbers). F2.8 lenses or faster will help out a lot in your situation. You'll have less depth of field, but this will allow you to shoot with faster shutter speeds. If you are on a budget, you can grab a 50mm f1.8 for just under $100. This lens doesn't have as much reach as you might like, but it is the first "fast" lens for many people.

If you have some cash to play with, look into the 70-200mm f2.8 VR. This will imediately become your favorite lens. I use this lens a lot when I shoot local or regional bands, corporate events, etc., which all have not so good lighting. Plus it is a prime lens and will deliver sharper pictures with much better color than the 70-300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts