2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen info here a while back, but, can't seem to find it now.

I'm about to grind some venison and wanted to make a little pan sausage while I am at it. In the past I usually just waited until the craving hit me and would mix 1# of Jimmy Deans HOT 100% pork sausage with 1#of ground venison burger. Worked pretty good in a pinch. Now I'd like to make some in advance and prepackage. Looking for some seasoning tips.

Specifically, Chief posted some info about grinding with bacon ends and pieces and I liked that idea. Can't remember the exact seasonings used, but, I would really appreciate it if you could repost that info Chief.

Anybody else that has some good ideas, please post up.

Thanks in advance.

TXPalerider

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
WTs quick on tha draw...LOL...Thanks! We did over 200lbs last year....8 packs left....A big portion of it went to Friends, family and 2coolers..

I'm going to play around with different spices this year...Bought some new ones!!! Did some jalapeno flavored...big hit!

chief

Reactions: FREON

·
The C-LISTERS are coming
6,790 Posts
chiefcharlie said:
WTs quick on tha draw...LOL...Thanks! We did over 200lbs last year....8 packs left....A big portion of it went to Friends, family and 2coolers..

I'm going to play around with different spices this year...Bought some new ones!!! Did some jalapeno flavored...big hit!

chief
Don't you have to kill something first? J/K After this weekend maybe you can at least make fish tacos

·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks WT....
chiefcharlie said:

chief
OK Chief, give me some details here. Why are you going to play around with different spices this year? Are you not completely sold on the Plantation seasoning? What did you do different when you made the Jalapeno (I like peppers)? And where are you buying the seasoning and the Bacon Ends and Pieces in Bulk like that?

Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sup TX,

I just ground an Axis up last sunday. I usually use "BACON and Pieces" from wal-mart (3lbs.) I used two of them for one deer. I figured it to be about 80%deer/20% pork.

- Ground Sage (ALot)
- Black Pepper (Some)
- Garlic Salt w /parsley (Lawerys)
- Red Pepper (Some)

I got a double hamurger press if you want to borrow it

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
We like the plantation...just want to experiement. I do hate any taste of SAGE!!!.....
Jalapeno spice was a gift from Praceks (SP?)
Robs wants some with a little more garlic...I don't.

I found a new spice that I use on everything...salads to seafood..

"Uncle chris's Steak seasoning!!! (By Fiesta) It has replaced Cavanders Greek and Tonys (Too salty!!)

I just read whats on Sausage seasons...leave out the sage and blend my own based on more of this and less of that....

I buy the Bacon ends and pieces on sale in bulk...and have our butcher grind very lean pork as needed....
Don't use wild pork cause you gotta clean it just like deer to get all the undesireables out....

Its important that the cubed Deer/Bacon cure for 24hrs (spiced) before grinding...
Going to do 3 different batches plus the original this year....
Call or PM me anytime...Brad

Charlie

FREON....all I gotta do is say Sic em and she will stack em up like firewood!!!LOL...too early!!!

·
senor member
6,147 Posts
I grind the meat with the coarse blade. Spread it out a couple of inches thick on cookie sheets. Sprinkle liberally with cracked black pepper, a little sage, as much ground cayenne as you like(hint-I go easy here till it's all mixed, fry up a few pieces and sample. If it's not hot enough I mix in more.), a little garlic, moderate amount of ground savory, some crushed red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
ix all this up by hand and reflatten. On top of that put a good grade hot breakfast sausage about one inch thick. Mix all this by hand and fry a few pieces. Adjust seasoning to taste if needed. You will have nice lean sausage, I shoot for 60/40. We roll in pound to pound and a half rolls and freeze in freezer paper. I am always out before next hunting season. My family absolutely hammers the sausage. I usually devote a whole deer (minus backstraps) a year to this.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
donbmt said:
Have you ever tried Tex-Joy seasonings, pretty good stuff.
Yes Sir, Being an old Port Acres Marsh Rat!! you bet!!
I'm about out of em...

Seafood and crab boil...TexJoy is hard to beat....

Do they make a sausage seasoning???

·
Back in da Saddle
10,109 Posts
Best advise I can offer is you need a Pan !!!

JOhn

·
Back in da Saddle
10,109 Posts
TXPalerider said:
You guys just buy bacon ends and pieces at the grocery store? I looked the other night and didn't see any. Are they in the meat section or frozen?
Call fishers on Spring Cypress out past 249 they slaughter a mess of Hogs and will have what your looking for ...That stuff in the store can be full of salt!

John

G

·
TXPalerider said:
You guys just buy bacon ends and pieces at the grocery store? I looked the other night and didn't see any. Are they in the meat section or frozen?
i have seen the exact brand wright bros at walmart.

·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jtburf said:
Call fishers on Spring Cypress out past 249 they slaughter a mess of Hogs and will have what your looking for ...That stuff in the store can be full of salt!

John
Thanks for jogging my memory. I called them and they have the sausage seasonings pre-mixed for 50# of meat. Cost is $4.99.

You mind pickin some up for me tomorrow?

·
Old ******
4,418 Posts
I just ordered another case of Morton's Sausage and Meat Loaf Seasoning for this year and you are welcome to a few jars if you would like. It has the sage, pepper, salt and other stuff you need to make some dynamite breakfast sausage. I also use it for regular smoked venison sausage (links) and for pre-seasoning venison chili meat. Send me a PM and I will send you a few jars.
Jerry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.