2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy from Shimano today. I asked him about a real I purchased. It has a wiffle spool. He suggested putting a ring of tape around the spool to avoid saltwater getting in. I thought this was a great idea, I certaintly never heard of it.

I am sure it is the oldest trick in the book, however I certainly didn't know it. I hope it helps.

I think I should get a greeny this random act of kindness:)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
don't know but, if you gotta full spool of line, how's the naclh2o gonna get in there? sounds like an employee that don't fish much 2 me. jmho

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is valid

boat_money said:
don't know but, if you gotta full spool of line, how's the naclh2o gonna get in there? sounds like an employee that don't fish much 2 me. jmho
Well I can cast a 100 yds so it could be a problem:) Jk I don't know perhaps if it get dunken then rinsed then pushed back in...I can't see where 1 thickness of tape would hurt...

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
I've heard the same thing about the tape. The wiffle spool is to decrease weight, I believe. I'll stay w/ shimano.

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Exactly

Goags said:
I've heard the same thing about the tape. The wiffle spool is to decrease weight, I believe. I'll stay w/ shimano.
Goags-

Yeah, that is the reason for the wiffle spool to decrease the weight. The above post is referencing a Shimano Chronarch 100B. I really am looking forward to using this reel this weekend. I like Penn's too for surf fishing....However I wade fish 90% percent of the time.

I am trying to get into flyfishing....working on getting ready to build a few XP's...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I've got a Curado 200BSF with the wiffle spool and I wrap a layer of the white teflon plumbers tape around it prior to spooling up with Power Pro. It adds no weight and prevents water from working down through the line and into the internal parts of the reel.

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great tip

I am glad you guys said plummers tape. I never new about this. This is a great trick. Guess I am a little bit behind the ball.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
So, I am assuming it would be beneficial for the chronarch 50 mg as well? Interesting, I might have to try that. Although I could see that if water did work in, then the tape would work against you unless you take your reel apart every time which we dont.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
It seems to me though that if you did not tape it and water got in it would either run back out or evaporate pretty quickly, that is unless you store your rods in a a/c place. I will not be doing this to any of mine, it just doesn't sound that logical. Water, if dunked will leak through tape unless you put quite a bit on there. The teflon would have to be wrapped numerous times to get a solid seal. Seems to me this would be cut your line capacity down also; not very much, but its still a loss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts