2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Time for another reel

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  BradP 
#1 ·
Looking for another trolling set-up in the 50# class. We like the Tiagras but am wondering if there isn't something else to try. Anybody got suggestions? What other reel and why?

Thanks

#6 ·
I just got the Avet 50 w's and like them alot. McGolfer pulled in two 30-40lb AJS on a double hookup with an Avet 50, with no problem if I remember right. They are some winches with 57lb drag available. I really like them. I am still waiting on my Chaos rods to show up, they were custom wrapped to match the blue avets so they should ship friday, so they say.

#7 ·
Fished on a boat this past week that had 7 Tiagras. I'm used to running Internationals, and the drag system on the Shimanos really aggrevated me. You couldn't set it for 2 or 5 lbs of drag, it went from freespool to like 10 lbs. So you couldn't set the reel to let out line while you clipped it and ran the clip up the rigger (time was money this past weekend). Seemed like that might be a problem if you were trolling dead or live bait. Other than that they worked fine.

Jeff

#8 ·
The new Penn 50V wides will save you a couple bucks. The new models address some of the prior complaints with respect to the freespool of the old models due to a factory installed spacer, and provide plenty of drag out of the box. Mine came in at 35 lb. and 37 lb. right out of the box. Overall, I think they are just about equal to the Tiagra's, and they use the same basic Tiagra-type shifting mechanism which tends to limit confusion and panic with new crew members or even experienced anglers in the heat of battle.

I would give the Penns a very slight advantage due to the ready availability of Penn Parts. I seriously question the availability of parts for some of the lesser known or less widely distributed reels.

I would buy another brace of them if I was not otherwise inclinded to buy a Tiagras. The Penn 50V wides are slightly smaller and lighter than the Tiagra 50w's. Give that some thought if they are to be used on the chunk and fatigue is a possible concern or if line capacity is an issue.

By far my favorite is the Tiagra 30LRS though. Just the right size for stand up fishing 50 or 60 and smooth as butter.

#9 ·
I absolutely love my Penn 50 VSW's. Variable, smooth, drags. Great capacity. Easy shift to low and out. I've had such bad luck with Shimano I had to go another way. I have 4 Accurates that I like, but they aren't twice the reel as the Penn V.

Take 20% off at BPS and there are few better deals out there.

Patrick

#10 ·
i love my accurate platinum's but fish the shimano digitana in the 50wlrs model more than any of the accurates or avets that i have. the shimano gets plenty of drag and i am in love with line counter reels. the accurates can put out more drag than i would ever use and so does the avet 50. brad i have a few spare digitana's that you are welcome to try out for a couple of weeks if you are interested.....rick

#11 ·
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this..

but I would look at the Okuma TG-50W-II. Okuma has really listened to the fishermen and improved their quality over the past few years. They have a patented drag system, double dog anti-reverse, and silent retrieve system that is pretty slick. I was at a tackle show recently and was able to compare the internal parts of all of the top big game reels, and I was impressed how much beefier the Okuma's gears are than the Penns or Shimanos. All of the reels out there are great, but for $100+ less money, I would go with the Okuma.

My $0.02.

Steve

#14 ·
POS?

I don't know about that but I have put 10 YFT in the boat with a AV-80 Okuma (coffee grider) and it has worked perfectly for me. I have two 50W's that I had planned to test heavily this year, but since my boat been down...no can do.

Avet...now there is reel for the money. If I had a billion dollar to spend on fishing gear I wouldn't buy anything else! UNLESS their quaility drops off! So far it has not.

#16 ·
Is that chum your throwing in the water there Capt. C?

I have not seen Earl on this board in a while, but I expect Sunday school to commence real soon.

How does it go again ... Deliver us from the godless hordes worshiping false idols throughout Babylon and constructing anew a virtual Tower of Babel that they call Avet.

I should have saved that post when I had the chance.

#18 ·
I'm glad you love your Okumas and think they are really nifty and you like them alot and are glad you have them and would do it again if you had the chance.

I'm simply saying that the one I have is a POS compared to my Tiagras and I will not ever buy another Okuma in my life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.