2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice regarding a welded aluminum boat. I'm looking to buy a 16 foot welded jon, semi-v w/ a tunnel and sponsons, and I can't make up my mind between a tiller package or a side console. I want an all-around boat...reds and trout at the coast, floundering, bowfishing, running jugs, striper/white fishing. Any input? Opinions? I appreciate the help! BTW, I'm looking at a 50hp outboard

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
A test drive on both may help you make your decision. On that size of boat you will have more fishing room without the console. A console can be more comfortable though. I would just think a test run would be necessary.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Past experience tells me that a 50 hp might have too much torque for comfortable tiller operation unless you have Popeye arms. I would prefer a tiller though for most of the stuff you want to do except bay fishing. Test drive each as previously posted sound reasonable to me.

Good luck.

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
I had a side console for many years and found it far more comfortable than the tiller steer of an earlier boat. Easier to drive and better weight distribution is my experience.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Past experience tells me that a 50 hp might have too much torque for comfortable tiller operation unless you have Popeye arms. I would prefer a tiller though for most of the stuff you want to do except bay fishing. Test drive each as previously posted sound reasonable to me.

Good luck.
I could not say it better myself. Our gigging boat is 16 ft. with a 50hp tiller and it will wear your arse out quick!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Small console or side console....when you are running in rough water you will thank yourself....the boat will ride better the farther forward you are going to be.. Good luck

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
small center console on top of the middle seat, but one thing

it is prob $1500 more than a tiller rig

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Im converting over to a center console from a side console, way toooo darn wet for me. Besides, you can stand up and see real well, and not worry about standing up and falling out with a small side console, and hide behind it on cold days when running.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Console

I would also prefer the center console for the same reasons. It might take up a little more room but the ride and sight are so much better IMO.

Im converting over to a center console from a side console, way toooo darn wet for me. Besides, you can stand up and see real well, and not worry about standing up and falling out with a small side console, and hide behind it on cold days when running.

·
Registered
841 Posts
my .02

I have owned both, yes the tiller has more room and rapid turning however the console is worth the loss in room. With sponsons and a tunnel Im guessing you run skinny often, nothing worse than sitting down running threw a flat with mixed shell in low light wondering if your gonna hit it. When your up at the center console you are at a higher point of view and out of the spray from rough water. when i had my tiller i bought a frog tog just to drive the darn thing I would always catch spray sitting in the back. Im no expert but those are my experiences.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tiller models are best left for folks who like to troll, as that is what they excel at. Those walleye fishermen up north like to backtroll with tillers because they can get pinpoint accuracy trolling around points, etc. while staying on the lake contours (specific depths). Those guys are a different breed - they use tillers up to 115hp, they prefer flashers over depthfinders because they can glean more info from them, and they can tell you exactly what the bottom substrate is by dragging a leadhead jig across it..., 'course, now they are fishing through little holes in the hard water. :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm looking for some advice regarding a welded aluminum boat. I'm looking to buy a 16 foot welded jon, semi-v w/ a tunnel and sponsons, and I can't make up my mind between a tiller package or a side console. I want an all-around boat...reds and trout at the coast, floundering, bowfishing, running jugs, striper/white fishing. Any input? Opinions? I appreciate the help! BTW, I'm looking at a 50hp outboard
Here is my opinion on your setup Yakin Ag........

Boat is too short, go to an 18'
Semi-V will never preform like a flat and are not designed to run a Tunnel
they do not get up even with sponsons
Tillers will run tru if set up properly (can run mine with no hands) ie,Trim Tabs
50 hp motor is about 25 hp too much on 16' boat, could go up to 20' and still roll with a 50 hp.
If I had it to do over again, I would go with a 20' x 42 tunnel instead of an 18' x 42.

IMO Regards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts