2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...it only cost me $500 and the summer, but I've got a load!!! This is for 243.

IMR 4064 38.0 grains
95 Nosler ballistic tip (this is a boat-tail hp if you want to substitute)
Necksized brass, either FC or RP
Remington primer
Seat to 2.667 in

shot thru a Rem 700 ADL bedded/floated & 4.5 lb trigger.

mean velocity was 2903, STDEV was 33.5

I've got 3 touching (<1/2 in spread) plus one 1/2" low...my fault.

seating to 2.623 opens the group to 3". Seating out to 2.710 allows fliers.

This was the second step of the Optimal Charge Weight routine. All testing was done "round robin" style.

If you use new or full-length sized brass, you may find your optimal length closer to 2.700"

·
Registered
381 Posts
Great load......for your gun......it may or may not even come close in another 243...I have 3 ,.243's tht I load for and all shoot inside 1in groups at 100 yards[if I do my part], all with different powder and primer combinations...every rifle is like a person...an individual,and needs to have the loads tailored for them.

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Thats good shooting BM..just wondering, did you go with the hollow point because thats what you wanted to shoot or was it just the one that shot the best...Thanks Walker

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rack Ranch said:
Thats good shooting BM..just wondering, did you go with the hollow point because thats what you wanted to shoot or was it just the one that shot the best...Thanks Walker
I got hooked on Nos btips by T's Ammo in Texas City and then the old bastage retired on me. Now I am trying to get something just as good as T's (hence $500 and all summer).

btw- T's were a little faster, but only 1" groups.

Drop a Yahoo! search for optimal charge weight. I think Newberry is the author. He as a bit of voodoo in his assumptions, but he has a neat way to systematically control for a bunch of variables at once. He flips the perspective. Instead of looking for really nice groups, you look for really crappy groups (nodes) and you pick the stuff in the middle.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
backlashingcooger said:
Great load......for your gun......it may or may not even come close in another 243...I have 3 ,.243's tht I load for and all shoot inside 1in groups at 100 yards[if I do my part], all with different powder and primer combinations...every rifle is like a person...an individual,and needs to have the loads tailored for them.
I can see you have not gone full-nerd with your reloading.

Don't know about the person analogy. If you were to try to put a 1/2 ounce of charged brass in a person's "breech", I don't think they would wait around for you to pull the trigger....ok well maybe some would...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts