2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use the Galveston channel tide information for the jetties? What kind of tide changes do you look for to have good water current? Are four tide days better than two? I see where some say a full moon slows the bite during the day. Some days the tide changes over a foot others a few inches...

There is a lot of info on tides but I guess they are difficult to predict until your in the water?

·
Banned
299 Posts
poppincork said:
Do you use the Galveston channel tide information for the jetties?
Yes

poppincork said:
What kind of tide changes do you look for to have good water current?
2 to 3 hours prior to the high or low is when the movement and best action will occour. With the high being the best.

poppincork said:
Are four tide days better than two?
Yes

poppincork said:
I see where some say a full moon slows the bite during the day.
This has been my experience also. But I don't know why.

poppincork said:
Some days the tide changes over a foot others a few inches...
The more it moves the better.

poppincork said:
There is a lot of info on tides but I guess they are difficult to predict until your in the water?
The tidal currents cause bait fish movements that the game fish key on.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Full Moon

I have read that the full moon slows the day bite because with the added visibility during the night the fish are able to feed at night therefore they do not feed as much during the day. I have found decent action during the day after a full moon in the afternoon to evening time. Mornings are usually shot though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PC, the tides for Galveston listed in most publications are for the end of the south jetty. The low tide may be listed as 9:00am, that doesn't mean the water will reverse direction at 9:01am. The vertical level may bottom out at 9am but the horizontal flow may go out for hours after 9am, while the vertical level is actually rising.......if that makes any sense. You can count on the water to be moving the correct direction halfway between the times listed for high and low.

The jury's still out on whether 4 or 2 tide days are better. Some 4 tide days have minimal movement over two of the tide changes, and some 2 tide days have extreme level changes that cause rip tides in some cases. Go figure.

Your best bet is to read the tide charts that are in graph form and fish the middle of any tide flow. The water will almost always be moving during these times. But the brief period between tide changes when the water's mixed up and changing direction can be produce as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello! Stop and think. The question of a 4 tide/day or 2 tide/day is just begging for research. I obviously don't know because I've not done enough research(fishing) to compare.

To help, I have had printed 2004 Texas Tide Tables--one page for each month. If you, or anyone else wants a copy, send me your snail mail address. You will get no junk mail, spam or cold calls from me. I usually leave some of these booklets at Teakwood Marine, Tiki Island, but don't know whether they have any at the moment.

Newspapers, magazines, Internet all offer tide charts, but what good does it do you when you are on the water? Put my booklet in your shirt pocket. Also, it makes a lot of sense to keep a notebook and write down notes of what happened each time you go, that way you have a memory jogger when next year you suddenly are reminded what you did today. Bob S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts