2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else ever heard of doing this:

When getting pulled over for lets say for speeding, when the leo asks for ID and Insurance, give him your ID, but pretend like your looking for your insurance and tell him you left it at home. The leo will give you a ticket for the insurance, but only a warning for the speeding. Then later on take the up to date insurance to the judge for a complete dismissal.

I have a friend that has personally done this 6 times, and can't figure out if they are just getting lucky.:clover:Or is this the Holy Grail of getting out of a ticket.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
They check your insurance now before even approaching your vehicle. I told the Trooper I needed to reach in the glove box to get my insurance card and he said thats ok, I already verified your insurance in my car. Your insurance information is contained with all the other information they have when they run your plates.

I think they are lucky. If a LEO wants to write you a ticket for speeding, you're getting a ticket for speeding and insurance(if thats the case) plus whatever else you have done.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
He's getting lucky. I've gotten the speeding ticket and the ticket for no proof of insurance at least once.

the insurance charge gets thrown out at the arraignment, then schedule a jury trial for the speeding ticket.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Yep, he's getting lucky... I used to ticket them for the speeding AND the insurance because I knew they could get the insurance dismissed... Yeah, that's right, I used to hang paper like crazy... LOL

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I know of one other state where a "no proof of insurance" ticket results in a fine even if you produce the proof later.

·
Registered
767 Posts
In San Antonio they can tow your car if you don't have insurance. I don't think they do it very often as there are still cars on the road and no one has insurance in this town.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think your boy needs to buy some lotto tickets b/c he is lucky. Just wait it will catch up to him, pretty soon it will be ticket after ticket. Happened to me. I have also been told that most officers already have their mind made up before they even talk with you if they are going to give you a ticket or not.

·
388 Posts
In Driscoll (US 77 south of Corpus) they absolutely impound your vehicle. You will get insurance, pay towing and storage fees before you get that vehicle back.

I think it's good policy, and would give anything for state law to require this action.

·
Glub-Glub-Glub
856 Posts
what a waste or your time and tax money

:hairout:DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE SMALL STUFF.
NUFF SAID, BUT YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I know of one other state where a "no proof of insurance" ticket results in a fine even if you produce the proof later.
There's a difference between being accused of not showing proof and not having insurance. If you get written for not having it, showing a current card will get you out of it. If you get written for failing to show proof at the time then showing a card later does you no good.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's a difference between being accused of not showing proof and not having insurance. If you get written for not having it, showing a current card will get you out of it. If you get written for failing to show proof at the time then showing a card later does you no good.
If a leo can tell if someone has proof of insurance before even talking to the driver on his little computer (as Ive heard from friends and other 2 coolers), then why does one need to show the leo a card that always seems to get lost at the most inconvenient time possible.?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts