2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
My rod and reel comfort me. St Pete 8lb
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headknock Just got a registered letter(warning) from the City of Austin.
I had my boat in the driveway for a week to install a few things on the boat, but normally I keep my boat behind a chain link fence but it turns out I am in violation because it is not behind a SOLID fence.
Now I have to put slats in the fence or something to be legal.

I've had it with a City whose battle cry is "Keep Austin Weird" and their idol is Leslie. Time to move to the country.
:headknock

·
Registered
485 Posts
I feel for you. I can't stand Poa and Hoa's. I didn't know the city was that bad.

It makes you wonder if these people have any thing else to worry about.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My HOA sent me a letter becuase I left mine out for more than 24 hours. Got home sunday night. Had a heckofa Monday, and didn't put it behind fence until Tuesday evening...
Some people just don't have anything better to do..
But on the otherhand, we don't have any cars parked in the front yard or up on jacks anywhere either... Give take sometimes..
Just take care of business and ignore them!

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
its not like you had put um an American Flag pole..lol.

HOA's are a pain, but think if they didn't enforce. Your home value would get cut in half by years end!

I personally hate them....till your neighbor parks his busted rv and boat in the yard that never runs

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
That's too bad Boonedog. Put up a Mirror. When they look, they'll just see some ugly face looking back at them.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
Who is Leslie? rs
I googled it, Albert Leslie Cochran, Austin's most iconic street person--***. I feel your pain, our state capitol city has gone plain wacko, this guy is some sort of hero for the homeless and gets celebrity status from the little I read. Go figure. rs

·
Registered
966 Posts
We both work in Austin but live outside Travis county. We wanted a place where we could have our RV at the house plus anything else we wanted without being hassled by some HOA. We can both retire in about 29 month's and we can't wait to get away from the Austin area. I thought Austin was going to come to a stand still when Leslie ended up in the hospital after he "fell" on the street.sad_smiles

·
Kickin' hippies' a**es and raisin' h*ll!
5,369 Posts
Yeah, we got a note from the City of College Station. (We have no HOA). Said we had to remove "boxes, buckets, and containers" within 5 days or receive a citation.

The above items were sitting next to the trashcan on Wednesday. Thursday is bulk pick-up day!! This stuff was clearly bulk garbage to be picked up the next day!

My tax dollars at work.:(

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
I say move. Life is too short for you to be putting up with stuff like that.
PS: I didn't know Austin was getting that way. Sad.

·
Registered
357 Posts
:headknock Just got a registered letter(warning) from the City of Austin.
I had my boat in the driveway for a week to install a few things on the boat, but normally I keep my boat behind a chain link fence but it turns out I am in violation because it is not behind a SOLID fence.
Now I have to put slats in the fence or something to be legal.

I've had it with a City whose battle cry is "Keep Austin Weird" and their idol is Leslie. Time to move to the country.
:headknock
Make a copy of your mortgage payment , send them back a copy of their letter and your mortgage payment. Ask them for at least 10% of your payment amount to be sent to you on a monthly basis, tell them if they will do that, you will be willing to put your boat behind a solid fence. Also tell them if you do not get a response from them, you will assume that it is OK to leave the fence as its.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,981 Posts
I had my boat in the driveway for Ike, used the fuel out of it to power a generator, then brought it back to its slip on the west end of Galveston once power was restored. Over 6 weeks after I moved it, I got an attorney letter on behalf of the HOA telling me I must move my boat at once or they were going to sue me. Then they tried to charge me $75 for the attorney letter written for a boat that had been out of the driveway for over 6 weeks. Ever since I have been trying to tell them that it never should have been sent and I am not paying them money, but they are standing firm and I am still fighting with them over it out of principle.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I had no idea that the City of Austin had a city ordinance stating that you could not park a boat in your own driveway. Are you sure this is not a HOA thing? If thats the case, the City of Austin has much bigger things to worry about than that.

You know, HOA's are an irritating but a somewhat necessary evil. As others have mentioned, they do serve a purpose but a little common sense would save a bunch of irritation a lot of times. What happens is that they drive the neighborhood every so often. If they note a violation of any kind, they address it. Well, the good homeowner gets some letter about his trashcan being left out one day too long and gets irritated b/c thats the only time in three years that it wasn't picked exactly when it should have been. The homeowner feels like a victim and rightfully so. I honestly don't think the property management group really cares all that much, they are just sending out letters to say that they are enforcing the deed restrictions as they get paid for this. When I get something, I just throw it away and go on about my business.

As for Austin, its still a good area to be in. Despite some of our weird icons and a liberal city agenda, Austin still has lots of positive things going for it. Our economy is still strong, losts of new growth, crime is still very low for a metro area this size, lots of lakes and the beautiful hill country right out our back door, etc.... I still really like the area despite some of our shortcomings, I have lived all over the state and the Austin metro area is one of the best IMHO.

·
My rod and reel comfort me. St Pete 8lb
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rockyraider... it was a letter from the City, I was told they wrote warnings in 2 subdivisions in North Austin and several subdivisions in South Austin.
The inspector said in both areas they had a few complaints.

Brian...I'm sorry to hear you are having to put up with that. Good Luck

My wife's co worker came back from hunting late last Sunday night and they parked their 4 wheeler in the driveway to clean it up the next day and they received a warning as well.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Leslie is an idiot. I can't stand him. When I was a cop I wouldn't arrest him because he was usually wearing a bikini and pushing that big cart of his packed with ****. I don't know why he gets so much attention.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts