2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just one more cast....
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to go wade fishing tomorrow (Sat) on the south shoreline behind San Luis Pass. I like to throw MirrOlures all summer, just wondering which colors do better for you in the cooler months. Which colors do better during the winter months?? Also if anyone has a report on the water in that area I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
This was from some old old 2 Cool thread that Mike Williams did. He, Kenny and a few others had this thread going on. Lost when Mont had a crash. Somewhere I also have his articles from 10 or so years ago when he did the Mighty Mirrolure series. This was pieced from several post and jumps from __ to __________.

This is a little different from his Mag piece but this is newer and fwiw. JimD

One of the best lures I FOUND for dity water in our area was the work horse RED AND WHITE 51M11 "'WOODY ""MIRROLURE ,HOWEVER THE RED AND WHITE 51 M 26 WORKS great in very clear water ... I RAN alot of the test I RAN in that pass and ALL the waters around that pass........... ---WHAT I LATER FOUND WAS --it was not the colors --IT WAS --the way the colors were broken on the two different lures-------------------

MOST PEOPLE just don't understand ,how the color of WATER and SUNLIGHT can change over the PERIOD of time from dawn to dust,bay to bay and season to season ... and sometimes HOW light even changes at night in certain locals in many different clearities of waters and seasons .....IT'S NOT real important that you UNDERSTAND all this ,I WILL BE the first one to tell you ,that some of this ""light factors "' ---------- "'water clearity factors "'' --------- ""water temprature factors --------- ""season factors ""--AND local factors can get ABIT out in left field for most people ------------but it is a FACT ,that those factors DO
FIELD TEST REPORTS from the logs the Mirrolure field tests -----BEST COLORS FOR WINTER AND COMBONATION OF COLORS ---area -GALVESTON BAY COMPLEX AND SURF ----NOW ,I'M NOT SAYING you can't catch trout on other colors than the ones I have listed ,WHAT I'M LISTING HERE are the colors that produced best in the test I RAN . ------best colors WINTER daylight --shades of pearls ,chartruses,whites ,off whites ,bones ----GOLD SIDES or reflectors ---------------------LATER SEASON ,shades of pink ,hot pinks ,clear pinks -GOLD SIDES OR REFLECTORS ----------------------VERY VERY CLEAR WATER ---shades of pearl ,whites ,bones and the color red,,,,,,also clear --SILVER SIDES OR REFLECTOR -------- COLOR times GOOD from DECEMBER 15 TO ARPIL 15 --ALL BAYS AND SURFS of

51MRCHG MIRROLURE - ---THIS LURE IS ""DEADLY"" ON BIG TROUT IN WINTER ------ALSO where two lines cross north and west or ""NORTHWEST ""-----OR in plain english ---THIS LURE IS DEADLY ON BIG TROUT IN THE NORTHWESTER END OF MOST BAYS IN THE WINTER TIME ,ESSPECIALLY AFTER the wind has been out of the NORTH OR NORTHWEST for a day or two ----

GOOD colores FOR WINTER IN CLEAR WATER IS THE COLORS OF RED AND WHITE...THE BEST TWO LURES FOR OUR AREA THAT ARE GOOD PRODUCERS ARE THE WORK HORSE REDHEAD , WHITE BODIED ,SILVER SIDED IS LEGENDARY ""WOODY "" THE 51MR11 ...ANOTHER RED AND WHITE LURE THAT IS AN EXCELlENT LURE IN WINTER IS THE REDBACK ,WHITE BELLIED ,SILVER SIDED MIRROLURE 51MR26""THE WEST BAY SPECIAL""...THE WORK HORSE ""WOODY "'works well in ALLBAYS and SURFS year round of the GALVESTON BAY COMPLEX ,however the ""WEST BAY SPECIAL ""works best in WEST BAY IN THE CLEARER WATER OF WINTER ...

SOME LOCALS are just better for wading at night than others and like in the daytime conditions play a major factor ...ALOT of trout are taken at night on the warming tides of spring ,but some BIGGER fish are taken on nights that produce some of the lowest ,if not the lowest temperatures of the year ..

O.K., here goes. All of these combos I list are not selected w/ Trophy Trout in mide - just fishing for food.

1. Silver Spoon (Tried & true Nationwide in Bay and Surf)
2. Mirro Lure - Very Sloooow sink w. Black Back & Silver Sides. (Can be used in both shallow flats and the surf. Acceptable Imitation of both Mullet and Pinfish.)
3. 5" Bass Assassins with Gammakatsu Hooks and Lead Worm weights. (Silver Flake w/ a Black back is the color. Good for bay and surf. Relatively weedless.).
4. Speck rig. (One white and the other Chartruese. Good in surf and flats for the smaller trout)

WELL ,THERE ARE NO WRONG ANSWERS HERE ,because the right answer is what YOU have confidence in and without any doubt the classic "'WOODY"" 51MR 11 Mirrolure is a true trout taker and one of most most used color patterns in the world ---HOWEVER to date the plastic BASS ASSASSINS is the most deadly trout lure EVERMADE that could be used on a 365 day basis........ NOW ,with that said -if I HAD to make a rescue package for a person stuck on MATAGORDA ISLAND for 30 days and I could only put one trout lure in that rescue package it would be the most versertile lure ever made by man ,the plain jane "'SILVER SPOON""'...
THE COLORED SPOON --Spoons come bisically in gold or silver ,in some cases one side of the spoon may be colored or in some cases the whole spoon is painted or were painted ..LIKE KENNY said the red and white spoon was a true classic ,as was the chartruse and hot orange .......WHY don't more people throw spoons TODAY is because most fishermen are like a rollin marble in a small boat in 6 foot seas ,which ever side the boat pitches that the side the marble rolls to OR IN OTHER WORDS people throw what they hear about and if they don't hear about a lure alot ,in most cases they SIMPLY don't throw it .------------WILL a red and white spoon catch trout NOW
?-try one sometime,you might be surprized .//////////THE SECOND BIGGEST TROUT I ever saw come out of WEST GALVESTON BAY hit a spoon ....

OF ALL,the MirrOlures EVER made one of the BEST that I ever field tested for MirrOlure was and STILL IS the 51 MR SHP ----51 STANDS FOR THE SERIES AND THE 51 SERIES WAS DESIGNED ESSPECIALLY FOR THE WADEFISHERMEN AND WADING ....... -The 51MSHP ""THE TROPHY TROUT KILLER"" is deadly on big trout esspecially in late winter through early summer ,both bay and surf .....I know of serveral double digit trout that came from the GALVESTON BAY COMPLEX on the 51MR -------------------

Re''******"'the SURF RUNNER

ANOTHER great lure or color pattern for winter "'wades"" is the 51MR51 MirrOlure ,""****** "'the SURF RUNNER.---THIS LURE has a white back and belly with siver sides and also comes with gold sides ,but the gold sided versions may be hard to find ..THIS COLOR PATTERN also works well in the MirrOlure surface runners and walker series .. THE 51M51 MirrOlure ALSO EXCELS IN THE SURF ON clear GREEN INCOMMING TIDES OF LATE SPRING AND EARLY SUMMER

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Color will depend on the water clarity...I like the chartreuse-gold-chartreuse if the water off color any...If wading...use the 51MR with the eye in the nose...it will sink slower & allow you to work it slower...the one above will sink fast & hard to work when wading...I only use the ones with the eye in the head when drifting deeper water...

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
If you are really industrious you will buy the 52 and take your drill and drill a nose hole so you can change out the eye hook from top to front so you can do double duty with just one bait.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
If you are really industrious you will buy the 52 and take your drill and drill a nose hole so you can change out the eye hook from top to front so you can do double duty with just one bait.
Mirrorlure makes a PF (Pink Flame) color in the head eye model only. They are impossible to find, so my friends & I will order several dozen at a time direct. I use my Dremel tool & drill a pilot hole into the nose. Place a microscopic smear of super glue gel in the hole & switch eye. I put a smear of the SG gel in the top hole to seal it. This is an awesome color & one of my go to baits, especially in the spring. Mirrolure will send you a free catalog...www.roysbait-tackle.com...

·
Just one more cast....
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

I appreciate all the info on MirrOlures and other baits which are good for winter fishing. Thanks.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Mirrorlure makes a PF (Pink Flame) color in the head eye model only. They are impossible to find, so my friends & I will order several dozen at a time direct. I use my Dremel tool & drill a pilot hole into the nose. Place a microscopic smear of super glue gel in the hole & switch eye. I put a smear of the SG gel in the top hole to seal it. This is an awesome color & one of my go to baits, especially in the spring. Mirrolure will send you a free catalog...www.roysbait-tackle.com...
That E-addressis a link off of the color chart I have...not Mirrolure's...Just google Mirrolure & get the site...

·
Registered
85 Posts
My rule of thumb has always been, silver flash on an overcast day or a gold flash on a sunny days and slowing your retrieve to half of your normal speed.

Good Luck with Tight Lines.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have been wearing them out this last week on this. I love it in clear water on very bright days. Notice the back hook of the front treble hook is broke off.

·
"It's good to be...Me" ><)))'>
15,143 Posts
Many years ago Mirrorlures were the "go to" lure for me during the winter months....but I've consistently caught many 25"+ trout on Corkys during the winter. I'd have a hard time making my brain think there is anything else but Corkys for big trout in the winter. I know the Mirrorlures will still catch them along with other baits. But...Corkys are all I throw from now until spring.....

God bless Paul Brown....let's hope Mirrolure will keep the quality of the Corkys as good as Mr. Brown did.

p.s. My favorite color Mirrolure was always the 808....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
mirolures

I think one of the best mirolures every made is the newest one the mirodine XL which is a little larger than the original smaller mirodine. It sinks very slowly and does one of the nastiest side to side motions underwater i've ever seen. My favorite color in most all of the mirolures have some pink in them but you really cant go wronge with the natural white bottom green top, that one just looks delicious!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
model 51 mirrolures

I've been catching big trout on mirrolures since the 1950's and agree with all the above mentioned colors. I fish the shallows of Alazan,Baffin, and the upper laguna with model 51's with these modifications : remove the front hook, turn the front eyelet to run side to side instead of up and down, attach to line with a loop knot. This will let the lure run shallower, sink slower, and have better action.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts