2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing starting issues on my 150hp 2000 Evinrude Ficht. The issues seems to be in the throttle, from what I can tell is that it is not recognizing that it is neutral and therefore not letting the engine turn over. If I shake the throttle I can usually get it to turn over and start with no problems. Where should I begin looking? What senses that it is in neutral and what color wire/wires is it? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Possibly a bad or loose neutral safety switch. You'll have to open the control box to get to it. Don't know the color code on it, it should have 2 leads going to it. You can ohm it out to see if its bad.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yes they do is it a J-E control, normally they are yellow with a red stripe, trace them back from the switch in the control and cut them and ohm out the switch, you can hook the two wires togeather, from the switch to the wiring harness to test. Some times the little piece that strikes the swith is worn down, but normally the switch. Some times the screws that hold the switch come loose and not letting it engage in the right spot. If a J-e Control Northshore marine on I-10 will have it in stock.

·
If you can't Hook EM, GIG EM
227 Posts
Probably the switch as mentioned above, mounted in the throttle assembly on your console. Should be able to spot it when you take the cover off. It is a micro switch that should cost no more than about $2 if you buy it online, the Merc dealer was going to charge me $40. Pull the old micro switch out and put the part number into ebay or Google and you will probably find it as I did for my Merc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts