2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As predicted TRA has opened two additional gates. Flow is now 3000 cfs. The inflow at Riverside is 5000 cfs. They will probably go up to five tomorrow or Saturday for a few days.
This insures that that Dallas street washing water will come well into the upper lake.
Forget the river whites and get out the long rods for those stripers that should come into the stilling basin.
Might be a week early but it is only 25 days before TP&W will be down there harvesting brood fish.

·
Affordable DWI Defense 832-763-8175
224 Posts
Great info thanks!!! Unfamiliar with below dam fishing... Where should I park? One bank better than the other? This weekend a good bet?

·
INFIDEL to Some, but Loves my Saviour
10,227 Posts
If you've never fished LLD tailrace,especially in a boat, it is best advised to go with someone that has... Many hazards!

·
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First go to Browders store on the west (Coldsprings) end of the dam and pay the entry fee to access the river on the east side.
You can either walk on the bank towards the dam until you reach the old fence and wade out from there. Do not go beyond that fence or you will meet a very unpleasant security guard.
You also launch a yak from the same east side access. But I too would caution you to go with an experienced boater/yakker the first time.
Little road runners and other inline spinner bait are good while wading. But bring a lot because there are plenty of snags.

·
Affordable DWI Defense 832-763-8175
224 Posts
Cool thanks..
Gonna try this saturday....will it be real real busy?What kind of fish can i [hopefully] expect to catch? Shad around to catch in the cast net?

·
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should be plenty of shad. Prevailing game fish down there are white bass, blue cats and stripers.
A fresh shad two fet below a slip cork will get some action in the fast water.
Warning....read the special creel limits on cats and stripers below the dam. It is a much smaller limit than above in the lake. No reason the give your truck, yak and fortune to the state of Texas for lack of a little reading.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
We were fishing on a south end hump this morning and heard the horn sound for some gates opening up.
So they must several gates open now.
It will be time to go cat fishing in the tail race soon, and you guys go ahead and cast those long poles, should be some mean stripers around soon.
The white bass in the main lake are biting well.

·
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still three gates open.
I fear the dirty river water will get below White Rock Creek this week end.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Still three gates open.
I fear the dirty river water will get below White Rock Creek this week end.
Current lake level 131.33, only .33 above summer pool level. They will have to open another when that dirty water hits the lake (I assume). Any guesses on when they open another one or two?

·
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The crest at Riverside is receding slightly. There is only 2000 cfs average flow in the river from Riverside to Rosser.
I would look for them to shut one gate tomorrow and the second one by Monday.
With no rain in the forecast plus the high evaporation they are getting from the March Lion winds I do not think they will worry about the lake being a few inches above 131.0.
After all that water is a salable commodity to TRA.
Hope they drop those two gates quickly before that dirty water migrates to far south.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
I fished the dam on saturday via kayak. No-one I talked to was catching much. A few catfish only. I paddled around and fished the whole area north of the bridge throwing jigs for crappie or whites. Not a bump. I saw one striper caught with the long rods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts