2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to try the marble look, went out and got some testors paint but have decided that the thread might look more like a custom rod. (In my mind right now..LOL)
My question is this. Can I use a "super glue" to attach the first/starting point of the thread? I'm only talking about a tiny pin drop, just to hold the thread until the winding starts flowing. I would also want to do this during a color change during a wind. I have not seen anyone use "super glue" but I have seen where they use a special weave. Is there a negitave effect???
I have everything and will be ready to start as soon as I find out. Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
You may check on Mudhole's message board. I saw a thread there the othrr day aboutthe marble look. There are also some pics of a couple of reels a guy done that look pretty fine in the pictures section.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Starting a thread wrap is really easy once you get the hang of it, no need for super glue. It sounds like you need to get a couple of books or videos and do some more research. To me it would be a pain in the arse to use any type of glue regardless of amount to start a thread wrap.

Begin your wrap by bringing the thread around the blank and crossing it over itself, forming an X. You must wrap the tag end around the blank two or three times before proceeding with the wrap. Otherwise the X formed earlier will slip and revolve around the blank as you continue wrapping.

Use your finger to guide the thread along the desired path making sure it continues to cover the tag end.

Make three or four wraps over the tag end and then cut the tag end with your exacto knife, close but flush isnt needed as you will wrap completly over the cut tag end.

Do you need help tying off the wrap?

·
11,765 Posts
Bill, If you are in the houston area stop by Fishing Tackle Unlimited (Cutrate) and get a copy of Tom Kirkmans Rod Building Guide. Best money you can spend at the start. Or you can order it from Mudhole. http://shop.mudhole.com/s.nl/c.210436/sc.2/category.400/it.A/id.8571/.f

Go to http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?f=2 and search for Marbilizing. They had a thread a week or so ago above using Testors Paint. Let the paint settle and seperate, take the solvent(?) off the top then use the paint. Here is a picture. http://www.fishingphotos.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3458&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=510

·
Licensed Process Server and PI
413 Posts
Don't try the super glue. I was curious about that once so I tested it out on a dowel.

The super glue really dis-colors the thread and leaves a white crystal coating on top. Looks aweful.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone

I am just getting excited and was thinking this might work but with the advice here I will not use the glue and go with a knot. So how do you change thread color during a wrap? I'm planning on using just two colors, a main color with maybe two stripes. I'm in no way thinking about a fancy weave..LOL I just want to get a nice clean pattern on this first rod. I will head out to cut rate sometime today. I went to the libary and got a few books, they had "older" books so I was thinking about something from this decade...
LOL..I started messing with the testors paint and it was looking OK, then my daughter came in and said you should put some glitter in the mix to give the rod some flash. I tried some on paper and then on a dowel and it looks good, I just don't know if the glitter would still have the flash after the finish is applied.
I was hoping I could get this first rod built and ready to fish by this coming weekend but reality has set in and I'm not going to make it, Oh well it will get done. I picked up six computers to repair and now my daughter wants a new one so she will be ready for school. I know by the end of the week several others are going to want some type of upgrades done to their systems. I have only three times a year for computers: 1. Back to school (when I should be fishing for trout) 2. Xmas (when I should be fishing for flounder) 3. Tax returns (when I should be fishing for drum)

On a side note, I have a problem, every time I see an ad or website or picture in a book (on building rods) , I see something I want to do on the NEXT rod. I'm HOPELESS!!!!ARRRRGGG

·
Registered
206 Posts
This hobby is highly addictive. Another good site to go to is www.kensfishingrods.com this is Ken Preston's site. Go to the workshop section and he has some real good how to stuff there.

·
15,098 Posts
Go to cut rate or tackle unlim. and ask for Joey or Jeramy. They're young guys I've fished with on the pier since they were kids. anyway they can show you how to start and stop a rod wrap in 10 minutes. no glue, tape or any adhiesive just thread. When you get better maybe you can start using a sewing needle. Iv'e been building my own rods for 30 years and for all you youngsters,, there is a use for a sewing needle, but most young rod builders dont know what for. good luck and screamin drags R.R....

·
15,098 Posts
Needle in the thread?

Jetty Jumper

The needle is for ending the thread on any diamond type wrap , where you dont just pile the thread up at the end of the decoration but pull it up under itself like you would a loop of thread .,This gives both ends of the decorration wrap a finish as if there was not an ending.. Its easier to show than to explain..... screamin drags..... R.R.

Ps sorry I didnt put this in your reply box but I lost it and computors are'nt my best work .

·
Gone Fishing
11,998 Posts
I use masking tape and back it up so there is a sticky side to hold the tread on a weave wrap on each end of the weave..not on the guides thats a different procedure, and then wrap it on each end about 1/4 of the way ..remove the tape and cut the tailed ends.. then complete the wrap.. This is my first rod ever..Kinda look forward to the next...or should I quit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good lookin' rod. I use the masking tape technique as well. Seems a lot easier than using a needle though I've never tried that before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.