2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into custom rod making for my family now that I have retired. Unfortunately, I must have disposed of kit with all thread, brushes etc so I need to bother some of you with a quick question. Is Size A thread larger than Size C? I have located a local supplier with limited thread but all he has is Nylon. I assume that would hold color nicely and not discolor with flex coat etc but what say you folks about pros and cons of Nylon thread as well has preferred thread size.

Thanks

· Registered
330 Posts
Thanks PBC, if you put color preservative on the nylon will it Keep the original color?
Yes. I am not a fan of color preserver on guides though. Finish does not penetrate CP so the only bond of the finish to the blank is any area on both ends of the thread. And that's provided the CP only went on the threads and not the blank. CP does not provide much of a bond to the blank either as it washes off with water.

Use a color treated threat....colorfast, NOCP etc on guides. Or nylon and expect a darker translucent color. To test wrap nylon on the blank and put some isopropyl alcohol on it. That will show you the color it will be with finish.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PBC, thanks for the additional insight. I found some NOCP thread in the colors I was looking for on the Get Bit web site and it is being shipped. Honestly, I could not remember if the NOCP or NCP meant the thread needed color preservative or did NOT need it. So, the thread I bought clearly says 'no preservative needed', I think I am on the right track thanks to your help. Greatly appreciated. Will post some of my work when finished.

· You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
559 Posts
The ColorFast thread from Mudhole is great and maintains its color almost perfectly when finished. What you see is what you get with ColorFast. I like the way the nylon thread finishes translucent but it isn't something I like to do all of the time. I second PBC on the color preserver. Not good on guides. You will get almost zero epoxy penetration. Good luck and welcome back to the addiction.

· Registered
215 Posts
Good video on the subject showing the results How to Apply Color Preserver: Custom Rod Building
great video on CP but as one comment noted, the question of finish penetration was not addressed. I have lots of great nylon colors but am remiss to use them for the windings over the guide foot/feet for fear of failure. if they are non-structural enhancers I'll use CP but otherwise I'm against CP - happy to hear yalls thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts