2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Chest deep in the Blanco River
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and not a rod around

Picked up my wife for lunch today and went to Landry's Oyster Bar on Harborside in Galveston. Just sitting there eating lunch and watching the boats go by. We were inside when we saw what you would think was a hail storm hitting the Galveston Channel. It came in as a slow moving wave from GYB and moving towards Pelican Island Bridge. I was confused. Hot, steamy day... not a cloud in the sky... can't be hail. Went outside for a closer look. Between her MauiJim's and my Coasta's -we could see them... it was SPECK's! Thousand's of them. They were chasing little bait in a massive swarm covering the channel from one side to another about 75 yards thick. They were juveniles. As they chased their bait we saw big water breaking behind them. LARGE SPECK'S - they were eating the little one's. Some as large as my forearm, and I'm sure there were larger one's below. They were busting water like no tomorrow. Bird's were diving all around as we watched as this food chain was swimming by. Of course flipper started making his appearance and getting his fair share, but it was awsome just watching. I saw a couple bay and shallow water boats cruising on by. Waving my arms and hollering like a mad man I tried to point out what they were passing by. It was like they had their blinders on and set to go to their honey hole - nothing else around them was happening. We watched until 1:00 as this feeding frienzy moved on down the channel - last seen where the cruise ships dock still heading for Pelican Island Bridge.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I sure hope they are on there way to my bayhouse at Virgina Pt. I'll be wade fishing Sat- Tuesday.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mrs Backlasher said:
Does this mean the end of the world is near? It's got to be some kind of sign.
:D

Good one, Mrs B. ....I would have gone crazy, tying my shoelaces together and using the clothespin holding my pants up to fashion a hook! LOL

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
been here all day...phone never rang???? Anyone else have phone trouble today?

Why am I reading this? It should be criminal.
I think I need to go lay down for a while.

LOL

·
Kayak Fisher
7,565 Posts
bill said:
been here all day...phone never rang???? Anyone else have phone trouble today?

Why am I reading this? It should be criminal.
I think I need to go lay down for a while.

LOL
Bill,

That's 2FUNNY!!!! You're a HOOT!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, Capt. David! <shameless plug> ...Got any pics? ....

Ya know, after the Rodney King fiasco and later cases involving alleged police harassment, I swore up and down to always care a video or digital camera on me - as I heard from others....My, have times slipped us!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i think this story is a ploy to get us off east bay this holiday weekend. i havent had a single day off since june 11th and i made a decision to fish no matter what this sunday, and i just know its gonna be so crowded if the weather holds

·
Registered
424 Posts
I guess I'll back up this story!!!!

GreatWhite4591 said:
... and not a rod around

Waving my arms and hollering like a mad man I tried to point out what they were passing by.
Yep, it's true, I've never had an opportunity to see fish tear up the water like it did today! BUT.....to see him waving his arms and hollering, it was quite hilarious, I really cracked up!! seeing all those fish really made me want to blow off the rest of the day and go get the boat! But unfortunately we both had to go back to work..........ho hum......

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Sometimes Greg gets confused. As yall all know by the docks there where the shrimpboats tie up there are lots of "hardheads". Sometimes he doesent see well either and kinda depends on what he drank for lunch.

Charlie

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
When i worked in galveston i saw the same thing every july/aug. It's not specs, It's blue runners, smacks, and jacks most of the time. Still fun to catch though.
--Hop

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
What some folks forget is the best LARGE TROUT BAIT is small schoolie TROUT !!!!!!

John

529 Posts
Just goes to show that the Texas Parks and Wildlife conservation efforts aren't in vain...oh don't let a warden catch you using schoolie trout for bait...big fine!

·
Fisher of Men
3,703 Posts
What it means MS B is that we are closing for the next four days and I AM GOING FISHING> . I will have to do church Sunday, we can have it right there on the Amazing Grace. I need a tan before vacation anyway. So i'll fish and soak up some rays too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts