2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Thoughts

869 Views 26 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Doc Woody
So last Saturday I had some friends up at Livingston and they wanted to fish. We went out about 7:30 am in a friends pontoon. When we got to the area where we were gonna fish, I mentioned that it would be too rough to try and hold an anchor over one spot and suggested we troll. There were no other boats around. So we trolled and we’re pulling up some whites especially around a hump that I know of. Well about 9:00 am another boat comes and fishes about 120 yards off. I noticed he had a spot lock and mentioned to my friends that he was gonna inch over to that hump. We were making short turns going over the hump and sure enough, by about the 4th run over the hump he was on it. The two guys started pulling up whites real quick and we could not get near them. We were not pulling up any by this time and by about our third pass by them I looked at them and pointed and said “ you knew what you were doing”. They must have taken it seriously and left. We ended up boating 42 between 2 people and yes we did try to anchor over the hump but we could not get the anchor to hold. Was I wrong in my judgement? No other boats came out while we were fishing.
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
I think you would have been well within your rights to troll as close to their boat as you wanted. I occasionally spot lock on a hump in front of my house and it doesn’t bother me a bit when someone else wants to troll by. Though if I’m there first it would be preferable if they gave a wider clearance until I waved them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thinking maybe I should have approached them and asked them how close was too close but the lake was very rough Saturday and we might have bumped them. I don’t want to be an ***** but I don’t like to be stepped on either. Friend was operating his boat. I was trying to be the guide.
Either way, you are a gentleman. A very considerate person. Something our society is lacking. Props to you
I was on banana bend hump Friday evening without a boat in sight. I mean in sight. Nowhere. This boat runs from across the lake and idled within about 2 boat lengths from me graphing then stopped and started fishing. I was on the end closest to cape royal. He had PLENTY of ridge to graph and fish but chose to stop within a pitch away from me. I just laughed while he watched me catch one after another.
I was fishing a spot this morning catching nice white bass. I saw a ski boat probably 200 yards away come off plane and sure enough he started trolling and came to within 30’ of me, we were the only boats there. I did not see him bring a fish in and they left after a while. The bite was about over for that spot anyway. I moved to another place and finished my limit with no one around! Nice to fish during the week, much more enjoyable to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was fishing during the week but my job now requires me to be a weekend fisherman. Starting to realize what everyone was talking about not fishing the weekends. Hopefully this will be for only a year.
Wow...guess I'm spoiled. One of the many benefits of being retired. It's so refreshing to pull up to the ramp, just before dawn, and watch the sunrise, as you're approaching your first fishing spot. There is usually less wind at dawn, and the water is generally smooth before boats have a chance to chop it up. The little things in life, are special!
So last Saturday I had some friends up at Livingston and they wanted to fish. We went out about 7:30 am in a friends pontoon. When we got to the area where we were gonna fish, I mentioned that it would be too rough to try and hold an anchor over one spot and suggested we troll. There were no other boats around. So we trolled and we’re pulling up some whites especially around a hump that I know of. Well about 9:00 am another boat comes and fishes about 120 yards off. I noticed he had a spot lock and mentioned to my friends that he was gonna inch over to that hump. We were making short turns going over the hump and sure enough, by about the 4th run over the hump he was on it. The two guys started pulling up whites real quick and we could not get near them. We were not pulling up any by this time and by about our third pass by them I looked at them and pointed and said “ you knew what you were doing”. They must have taken it seriously and left. We ended up boating 42 between 2 people and yes we did try to anchor over the hump but we could not get the anchor to hold. Was I wrong in my judgement? No other boats came out while we were fishing.
Yes you were wrong. It is a public lake and no one gets to stake out a certain area for trolling. The fact that you could not hold anchor is YOUR problem. Get a bigger/better anchor and the spot will be yours.
I don’t remember saying or thinking that I owned the lake. But in my generation, we have manners and courtesy. May need to rethink my thoughts on this. But I am very mindful of my actions toward other people especially when it comes to fishing. Maybe the other boat should have showed up before we did.
Reactions: 3
I don’t remember saying or thinking that I owned the lake. But in my generation, we have manners and courtesy. May need to rethink my thoughts on this. But I am very mindful of my actions toward other people especially when it comes to fishing. Maybe the other boat should have showed up before we did.
I am not suggesting that the other fellow should not have shown some courtesy, but it does not change the fact that the lake is public domain and no one has the right to map out their own trolling area. So again, yes you were wrong by confronting the other boater.
Just common sense and courtesy not to move in on someone. Ok to stop and get close. See if you get an invite.
You may remember my statement at the end of my posts.
”It’s only white bass, come on over and get some”
I invite everyone on in most of the time. Got kids especially come on in close. Got beer - tie to the back.
Good looking wife in bikini - come on in :)
I am not suggesting that the other fellow should not have shown some courtesy, but it does not change the fact that the lake is public domain and no one has the right to map out their own trolling area. So again, yes you were wrong by confronting the other boater.
Well that’s your opinion. I think Gofish2day had a better response.
Well that’s your opinion. I think Gofish2day had a better response.
I can tell you this. If you ask ANY game warden he/she will tell you what I told you. YOU do not have any claim to any part of the lake when trolling.
I can tell you this. If you ask ANY game warden he/she will tell you what I told you. YOU do not have any claim to any part of the lake when trolling.
As I said earlier, I was not claiming or owning any part of the lake. It was more over the manners.
As I said earlier, I was not claiming or owning any part of the lake. It was more over the manners.
and you did not show them. The other boater was in his rights. You were not.
Well we all know what type of boater/fisherman Saved is. Common courtesy is a thing of the past
Well we all know what type of boater/fisherman Saved is. Common courtesy is a thing of the past
I agree. Thx.
Doc
You handled it correctly.
Just let him know he was wrong moving into your trolling lane. He cut you off when you were catching fish
Courtesy is long gone on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1 - 20 of 27 Posts