2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You might search on thehulltruth.com. I know for a while there it was the motor to avoid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have run one for about 3 months, thought it was a good motor, it was my friend boat. He did blow it up before it had 200 hours on it. They said it was because it over heated. After second powerhead he has had no more problems.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
a 2008 model should be fine. It was the early models that had the issues, and once the updates were done they were fine. HPDI are great motors.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
300 HPDIs

Like Outcast stated, once they have had the updates , they are great motors. If yours are 08s they are fine, updates already done. Got a pair on our 31 Contender and they are good running engines. We use Pennzoil 100% Synthetic oil in them, no carbon buildup and burns clean.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
I would find one or more

top flight Yamaha mechanics and have the engine checked out. I have a 2008 200 HPDI, and I recall they had just revamped the oil pump and made a few other changes just before my purchase. The HPDIs are great engines, but they need to set up correctly, including the correct prop for the particular application. McTrout just posted thread a few days ago where he was experiencing a blown cylinder for the third(?) time, and the Yamaha techs told him it was due to his running the wrong prop in a shallow water application!

·
Registered
33 Posts
the only 300hpdi that i know of is on a c-25 mowdy and it was twistin off propshafts like toothpicks....
Two things cause propshaft failure. Impact damage and loose props. The loose prop allows the thrust washer to wear and fatigue the shaft.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
yamaha was blaming it on the tunnel of the boat loading and unloading on the prop... all i know is that they have lost 5 props within a mile of the fishin center down the ICW in POC in like a 2 month period... they threw a trp unit on the 300 and it has been good to go...

·
Team Hi-Rev
1,721 Posts

yamaha was blaming it on the tunnel of the boat loading and unloading on the prop... all i know is that they have lost 5 props within a mile of the fishin center down the ICW in POC in like a 2 month period... they threw a trp unit on the 300 and it has been good to go...
:eek:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Any pics of the trp on that 300?

Drifter

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have pictures of one ,a transport with a 300 with a trp. lower unit but they are on the shops computer, I had posted them on the board a while back. He has ran it for over one year with no problem.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Dear Santa...If that does'nt work...How much for the lower unit and props? Do you have to buy both props or just one or do props come with the new lower unit?lofl

Drifter

PS: That is one bad arse looking motor!

Attachments

·
Make blood !!!
3,715 Posts
I have 3 of them on my boat. Have almost 700 hrs. Out of three motors, I've had 1 issue with a powerhead, and that was about 200 hrs ago. They run strong, dont use much oil either. I like them.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Dear Santa...If that does'nt work...How much for the lower unit and props? Do you have to buy both props or just one or do props come with the new lower unit?lofl

Drifter

PS: That is one bad arse looking motor!
Yep that is the one! That is on the trasnsport,,

No the lower unit does not come with the props or any of the prop hardware, but has gearoil and water pump. one year warranty on lower unit from yamaha

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just blew #1and#3 on powerhead.Yamaha did me good on the warrenty.Had 386 hours on old power head.No questions asked,had new power head in 3 weeks.so far no problems in 32 hours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts