2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have worked for the same company for 16 years, starting close to the bottom, & working my way up into a comfortable position. When the last person I reported to left the company, upper administration approached me and asked if I was interested in taking that position. I replied that I would think it over and left it at that. The position was posted & filled by someone outside the company with alot of experience in this position, thus a much better canidate as I see it. I really like my new boss & positive changes have happened within our department. She very assertive & has reached out to me offering a mentorship to help me see unrealized potential she claims she sees in me. She has taught me alot. With that being said...Here's the dilemma...I like what I do, good at doing it, make good $, & am responsible ONLY for myself & the work I do. My position is unique, dynamic, & I do not have to be accountable for other employees. I feel that administration is trying to groom me into taking this position when she retires, as I'm thinking she will within the next 5-10 years. This position would probably increase my annual salary by 25%, while increasing my accountability & responsibility 200%. I would have about 8 people reporting to me. I'm sure my workload would spill outside of a 40 hour work week (thinking maybe 45-55). I would have to start dressing nicer, (tie but no coat) , portraying a more professional demeanor (less cocky), & attend alot more meetings (already alot now), as well as having to go back to school & obtain my masters degree (online & company paying 100%). I am in my early 40's & looking to stay with this company for another 25 years. What would you do in a situation like this? I have mixed feelings. If I don't track in this direction, will the company see me as not motivated ? One side of me sees this as an opportunity (which it actually is), while the other side of me sees it as a royal pain in the arse (which it certainly has the potential to be). Do I think I can do it ?...Yes. Do I want to step out of my comfort zone ?...No. Please step into my shoes (no fungus) for just a minute and let me know how you would respond in this situation. :help:

·
Native Texan
10,980 Posts
We all hate being out of our comfort zone, but IMO, usually that feeling is short lived and more time than not, the move is a good thing. Having said that, there is a time when one looks toward slowing down. Doesn't sound like that is the case with you. Kinda hard to say how your company would look at your not taking the job without knowing the dynamics there. 25% is a pretty good jump in pay and it might be the thing that would allow you to not have to work 25 more years, maybe 15 or 20 more if you get lucky with the market/retirement plan. You could fish those years!!!!! Good luck, sounds like you have a while before you actually have to decide. Go for it, even if you don't take that job and the company looks down on it, you will have made yourself more valuable through the experience if you have to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That is a good question. I am in HR and have seen employees that were good technicians, operators, clerks, etc. but when they went into management they fell short. In most of those situations it was hard going back. Right or wrong top management looked at these folks differently. The answers you get will depend upon the personality of the advisor. Some people are ambitious and constantly strive for more. Some people are happy at a certain level and do not want to be responsible for anyone but themselves. It takes all kinds to make a workforce. You are the only one that can make the decision for what is best for you. What ever you decide let the manager know what your thoughts are so they can quit pushing you and focus their efforts some place else.

·
Wish the hull of my boat was wet!
10,857 Posts
10 years ago when they wanted me to move to a lead position I did everything to avoid it. After about 6 weeks they said " We are moving you into this position "
I hated the thought of having 5 men that I have worked with now working for me. The change was hard for them and myself. After a few weeks it all started to work out and all has been good for the last 10 years. Yea I work longer hours than they do but it's really worked out better for me.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Get you Masters FREE!!??

Dude, if you are being groomed and this is the way they are going to handle it...Move forward with the opportunity... A Masters Degree will allow you to open so many more doors and if they do move you and you cant align with the position, you might have the option to move back to where you were but at the very least, you have a Masters degree, and by that time, 20 years experience... Sounds like a win/win to me...

Just go witht he flow until it feels like you are paddling upstream..

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Another thought...

If you stay in the same "spot", sooner or later you will "top out" in the pay scale for that job..then just inflation raises for the next 10 or 20 yrs....if your lucky. OR the perfect candidate comes along right out of college, willing to do the same job for half or two thirds of what you are doing it for.

Unless it is an unusual company, I can tell you what will happen!

OR the company gets sold, or merged, then all bets are off!

I have run several companies before...and let me tell you, it is a delima, when you have a good, loyal employee, that does great work, that has "topped out" in pay, wont accept advancement, and you could replace them for half their salary! Soon, you start looking at them as an anchor, instead of an asset.

Your company MAY be different....but just saying....

Good Luck
Later
R3F

Reactions: Blk Jck 224

·
Registered
389 Posts
While it's not blatant most corporate style companies have an unwritten up or out policy. As you earn a higher salary and stay in your present position you will begin to affect profitability, at some point your cost out weighs your assets as an employee.

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What "didja" do?

Later
R3F
I start classes in Janurary. Thanks for those who posted & gave me that slap of sensibility that knocked me out of this little comfort zone I've been hiding in. Most people I've opened up to about this have helped remind me as to what my capabilities are & that I'm still far short of the accomplishment mark that I had initially set for myself. I've resigned from my cabinet post on the board of 'Procrastinators R Us', & I am actively preparing to take my career to the next level. Thanks for the kick in the arse...:work:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Congratulations.....

From my perspective you made the only reasonable choice!

I have mentored and trained many "managers", and it is a hard job to move up to. Many folks have trouble "telling", "asking" other people to do their job. It is a fine line between "asking" and demanding someone do something and still have them "like" you, "respect you". Some succeed, some don't. Just remember, they don't HAVE to like you....just perform!

You may have the best technical knowledge available, but to ask/demand it from others is a hard job for some folks. I credit the Marine Corp for showing me how!! LOL

I have no reservations about your technical capabilities, but it sounds like you need to take some management courses to help you advance. Some folks you ask to do their job, others you tell them to do it, others you demand it. It took me 5 or 6 years to become a good "manager" of people. AND another 3 or 4 to get really good at it.

I have met/hired very few "natural" managers. Watch the ones you think are good, and try to follow how they implement their agendas!

Good Luck
Later
R3F

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From my perspective you made the only reasonable choice!

I have mentored and trained many "managers", and it is a hard job to move up to. Many folks have trouble "telling", "asking" other people to do their job. It is a fine line between "asking" and demanding someone do something and still have them "like" you, "respect you". Some succeed, some don't. Just remember, they don't HAVE to like you....just perform!

You may have the best technical knowledge available, but to ask/demand it from others is a hard job for some folks. I credit the Marine Corp for showing me how!! LOL

I have no reservations about your technical capabilities, but it sounds like you need to take some management courses to help you advance. Some folks you ask to do their job, others you tell them to do it, others you demand it. It took me 5 or 6 years to become a good "manager" of people. AND another 3 or 4 to get really good at it.

I have met/hired very few "natural" managers. Watch the ones you think are good, and try to follow how they implement their agendas!

Good Luck
Later
R3F
Thanks...I will take you out on my boat whenever I need further advice if you will consider this as an option for me...Fishing trip = managerial counseling...what do you think...:smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts