2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if I seem dumb for asking, but.........Are there any pros that don't use artificial baits. Sometimes if I'm using artificial and don't get any hits I'll switch to bait and have way more luck. I was just wondering if pros can or will do this if they aren't having any luck with artificial.

Chris

·
Registered
941 Posts
Depends on what you consider a 'pro'. When you say 'pro' and that means the guys that fish the big tournaments like Redfish Cup or whatever, they can't use live bait even if they wanted to b/c its against the rules.
Now if 'pro' means just someone w/a lot of fishing experience or the guys on TV, then yes i've seen these folks use live bait. Nothing wrong w/that. I don't use live bait personally, maybe once in a blue moon, but to each their own. Whatever you gotta do to catch some fish.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....I was just wondering. Since I got married two years ago, my wife has been my fishing partner almost exclusivley and she prefers bait so usually I fish with it so it doesn't all go to waist. We also do a lot of late afternoon/evening fishing to avoid the heat of the day for her. Since going to primarily bait, however, I have seen my fish catch increase and my keeper fish almost double especially this year!

Chris

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I take pro to mean someone that makes money directly or indirectly from any given activity. As such, a fishing pro would be someone that can consistantly put his clients on fish using any legal method and that is both artificial and/or live bait.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
Melon told me once that he's throwin lures but if the other pods are catching on bait he's switchin over. So yes I'd say the pros will chunk meat if lures anit doin the trick.

Biggie:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I fish FLW and know for a fact that many "Pro's" use live bait to find quality fish. Then the real test begins, trying to figure out how to catch them with plastics.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
RED-MAULER said:
I fish FLW and know for a fact that many "Pro's" use live bait to find quality fish. Then the real test begins, trying to figure out how to catch them with plastics.
That's interesting. It hadn't occurred to me that they would approach it that way. Makes sense I guess. Just like showing 3 days of fishing in one hour show.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
surfspeck said:
Is a Berkley Gulp considered bait???? Stir!!!
Gulps are not Wood, Plastic, or Feather...so yes they are considered bait!

Biggie:biggrin:

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Dani California said:
Gulps are not Wood, Plastic, or Feather...so yes they are considered bait!

Biggie:biggrin:
Hmm...I would definitely classify Gulps as a form of "soft plastic"...even though it is a completely biodegradable material.

Having said that...I don't like Gulp as bait.

·
swing hard in case you hit it.
246 Posts
are Gulps legal to use in a "pro" tournament, i.e. The Redfish Cup or something like that?

·
**Follow me to certain death**
1,015 Posts
Gulps have been pretty handy for me with the reds. If there tailing and not paying much attention to what I throw there way, Ill chunk a gulp around them. They will usually work there way over to it.

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Gulps

Gulps are man made and considered to be artificial and they are legal to use in all Redfish events, the Tour, Cup, & FLW. Gater

1 - 14 of 14 Posts