2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://galvnews.com/wire.lasso?repo...ion=TheDailyNews:D1B7332D167681DDE2QHPT21A0A6Calif. congressmen ask Bush to review denied medal

By CHELhttp://galvnews.com/wire.lasso?repo...ion=TheDailyNews:D1B7332D167681DDE2QHPT21A0A6SEA J. CARTER http://galvnews.com/wire.lasso?repo...ion=TheDailyNews:D1B7332D167681DDE2QHPT21A0A6
AP Military Affairs Writerhttp://galvnews.com/wire.lasso?repo...ion=TheDailyNews:D1B7332D167681DDE2QHPT21A0A6

http://galvnews.com/wire.lasso?repo...ion=TheDailyNews:D1B7332D167681DDE2QHPT21A0A6

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- A California congressional delegation asked President Bush on Friday to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to a Marine who was chosen to receive only the second-highest medal the Navy can bestow for valor.

The delegation, spearheaded by Rep. Duncan Hunter, sent a letter asking for a review of the case of Sgt. Rafael Peralta, who witnesses say covered a grenade with his body to save comrades on Nov. 15, 2004, during fighting in Fallujah, Iraq. Already wounded by gunfire, he died immediately.

A copy of the letter given to The Associated Press was signed by a bipartisan group of five other representatives and Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer. It urges Bush to award the nation's highest honor, the same medal he gave to Marine Cpl. Jason L. Dunham, who was killed in 2004 after covering a grenade with his helmet.

"Intentionally absorbing a grenade blast to protect one's comrades in arms has been traditionally recognized by awarding the Medal of Honor. The sacrifice of Sergeant Peralta manifests the same devotion to one's comrade's and country as that displayed by Jason Dunham," the letter said.

The White House had no immediate comment Friday.

The bipartisan delegation formed after Peralta's mother said publicly this week that she was told her son would be awarded the Navy Cross, rather than the Medal of Honor, because the nomination was tainted by reports he was accidentally shot by a fellow Marine shortly before an insurgent lobbed the grenade.

"It's difficult as a mother to lose your son, but it's good that people are remembering him. He was a person who gave everything and took nothing," Rosa Peralta said after the AP informed her of the congressional effort.

"I'm very pleased to hear this news; we wanted justice," she said.

Bush singled out the Marine's actions in a 2005 Memorial Day speech, saying Peralta "understood that America faces dangerous enemies, and he knew the sacrifices required to defeat them."

The question of whether to award Peralta the Medal of Honor centers on whether the mortally wounded Marine, who had been shot in the head and upper body during a house-to-house search, could have intentionally reached for the grenade and covered it with his body.

The initial recommendation that he receive the Medal of Honor went through reviews by the Marine Corps, U.S. Central Command, the Department of the Navy and, ultimately, Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

After all the evidence was scrutinized, officials determined the nomination did not meet the standard necessary to support the Medal of Honor, said Capt. Beci Brenton, spokeswoman for Navy Secretary Donald Winter.

Defense Department officials have said that because there was some contradictory evidence, Gates took the extra step of asking for a review by a panel consisting of a former commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, a Medal of Honor recipient, a civilian neurosurgeon who is retired from the military and two forensic pathologists who also are military retirees.

The panel recommended against the Medal of Honor, and Gates made the decision this month, officials said.

Peralta, 25, was assigned to Hawaii's 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment. He had moved to San Diego from Tijuana as a teenager.

http://galvnews.com/wire.lasso?repo...ion=TheDailyNews:D1B7332D167681DDE2QHPT21A0A6

·
The Republic of Texas
4,595 Posts
The Navy Cross ain't nothing to shake a stick at. When you get up into those arenas of valor your nothing short of a hero anyway. The bottom line here is Sergeant Peralta gave all.....something we should never forget or take for granted. He gave all so we could have all. Everytime your grateful for a freedom, remember his name as one of many who gave the ultimate sacrifice for that freedom, his passing and sacrifice will not be in vain.

A toast to Sergeant Peralta, the Marine Corps, and of course the USA. Godspeed to the Marine Devil Dog who has held the Marine Corps' motto to the highest standard......Semper Fi. May he never be forgotten, whether he bare a Navy Cross or Medal of Honor, he is an American Hero.

Mike

Reactions: Bily Lovec

·
Dont hate the player... hate the game...
2,093 Posts
The question of whether to award Peralta the Medal of Honor centers on whether the mortally wounded Marine, who had been shot in the head and upper body during a house-to-house search, could have intentionally reached for the grenade and covered it with his body.
The initial recommendation that he receive the Medal of Honor went through reviews by the Marine Corps, U.S. Central Command, the Department of the Navy and, ultimately, Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

After all the evidence was scrutinized, officials determined the nomination did not meet the standard necessary to support the Medal of Honor, said Capt. Beci Brenton, spokeswoman for Navy Secretary Donald Winter.
Defense Department officials have said that because there was some contradictory evidence, Gates took the extra step of asking for a review by a panel consisting of a former commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, a Medal of Honor recipient, a civilian neurosurgeon who is retired from the military and two forensic pathologists who also are military retirees.

The panel recommended against the Medal of Honor, and Gates made the decision this month, officials said.
There is no dishonor in the Navy Cross.
there are lots of nominees for the MOH that never get the MOH.

God bless the Marine and may his mother find peace and pride in her son.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Receiving the Navy Cross is a High honor. I don't always agree or understand the reasons one medal is given instead of another, but His Mother should be proud and honor his sacrifice and and award by accepting the medal he got, not the medal she thinks he should have gotten. She dishonors his memory by squabling over degrees of Honor.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
God Bless that Marine and these United States of America.

There is no "traditional" act that automatically guarentees a Congressional Medal of Honor. Please take note of the word Congressional.
A Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine is recommended for an award and any award can be downgraded.
I have seen acts that should have been awarded but were down graded to Silver and Bronze Stars, themselves requiring a good bit of valor and bravery to recieve.
For his mother to to squable and bemoan the award of the Navy Cross dishonors his service and sacrifice.

Be thankful he is recognized, most aren't.

·
The Republic of Texas
4,595 Posts
Javadrinker said:
That quote bothered me also. IMO, she has trampled on her own son's honor. He gave the ultimate as a selfless act of duty. There is no medal that is rated high enough for that (although the CMO is as close as you can get) and I doubt he did it to earn the CMO. He did what he was trained to do and as an NCO more often than not they go well beyond the normal call to protect their troops.
I pray she finds the peace she needs to carry on and truly understands how honorable her son is with or w/o any medal. There are many who have perished and have received nothing at all but are no less worthy of the title...American Hero.

Mike

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Anyone who has ever served in this country's Armed Forces already wears a medal in my eyes ... from the lowest rank to the highest.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
The CMoH winners alive I knew have done 2 things.

1. will not speak of them or the situation

or

2. Tell me it's just colored thread with a piece of metal on the end.

The Navy Cross is something to Honor and she should be proud. To me, it looks like it was reviewed pretty hard and a decision was made.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I really do not know how to respond to this. All I can add is that our fighting men and women sacrifice everything they know and love to protect our freedom and the things we take for granted EVERY day. Especially the fact that we get to see our wives/husbands and children every evening/morning when we get home from work. Many of these folks don't see their families for months or years at a time. I worked some shut-downs for a few months at a time and thought I had it bad, man I'm selfish and blessed. Hats off to our armed forces!!!

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://galvnews.com/wire.lasso?repo...ass="inlineimg" />1B7332D167681DDE2QHPT21A0A6the case of Sgt. Rafael Peralta, who witnesses say covered a grenade with his body to save comrades on Nov. 15, 2004, during fighting in Fallujah, Iraq.
It urges Bush to award the nation's highest honor, the same medal he gave to Marine Cpl. Jason L. Dunham, who was killed in 2004 after covering a grenade with his helmet.
This was what to me did not sound right. Very similar acts of self sacrifice by two different Heroes results in one receiving the Nations highest honor, and the other receiving the second highest honor.

It is my firm belief that we, as a country, should ensure that those who fight for this Nation of ours should receive the Honors, and thanks that they have earned.

Perhaps if they published the exact reasons why Sgt Peralta did not earn the MoH, it would put my mind at ease over this.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I believe the reason for not awarding the MoH versus the Navy Cross is some accounts were sounding close to suicide, not self sacrifice.And the quote from the mother sounded close to what Cindy Sheehan was doing. I never heard anything from her husband or other children regarding any problems with his service or awards or need for more recognition. Perhaps that incident was still too fresh in their minds and they felt she was trying to push them the same as Cindy did. The fact that it went public could have even more to do with it. Like one guy said, it's not something to discuss, it was part of their service. If the family doesn't understand why the serviceman wouldn't fight for the recognition, they don't understand the reason for service.

·
Premium Member
15,768 Posts
8seconds said:
This was what to me did not sound right. Very similar acts of self sacrifice by two different Heroes results in one receiving the Nations highest honor, and the other receiving the second highest honor.

It is my firm belief that we, as a country, should ensure that those who fight for this Nation of ours should receive the Honors, and thanks that they have earned.

Perhaps if they published the exact reasons why Sgt Peralta did not earn the MoH, it would put my mind at ease over this.
Perhaps the article as well as your post were written to promote something other than our heros?

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lil Bit said:
I believe the reason for not awarding the MoH versus the Navy Cross is some accounts were sounding close to suicide, not self sacrifice.
Thank you Lil Bit. I just want to know why the MoH was denied.

Boomgoon, much like the situation with the company mentioned in your signature, when there is a situation which just don't smell right, it tends to bug me.

I try not to go off all half cocked and usually try to get as much info from both sides. If you look back at that thread, I waited until that company released their response before posting that I would never do business with them over said incident.

Here, two soldiers, who's similar sounding acts of heroism, got different honors for what on the surface look like the same acts. Maybe I am going off all half cocked this time.

I just want to make sure that our boys and girls get the honors they are due, whether it be a Cold one and a good quality Cigar with a handshake and a thank you for our returning soldiers, or raising a big stink if someone did not receive the honor they earned. It is the least we can do to thank these Men and Women for their service to Our Country.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I MAY BE WRONG HERE, BUT I REMEMBER READING SOMETHING MANY YEARS AGO THAT THERE WAS A MONETARY STIPEND FOR THE MOH. IF THIS IS TRUE, I HOPE IN MY HEART THAT THIS IS NOT THE MOTHERS MOTIVATION.

THE MARINE IS A HERO, EVERY MARINE, SOLDIER, SAILOR AND AIRMAN KNOW IT.

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
I am sure if he could speak for hmself he would take the medal offered and tell his mother and the politicos whispering poison into her ear to knock off the grandstanding.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
Each Medal of Honor recipient may have his or her name entered on the Medal of Honor Roll (38 U.S.C. § 1560). Each person whose name is placed on the Medal of Honor Roll is certified to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs as being entitled to receive the special pension of US$1,027 per month above and beyond any military pensions or other benefits for which they may be eligible. As of December 1, 2004, the pension is subject to cost-of-living increases.
Enlisted recipients of the Medal of Honor are entitled to a supplemental uniform allowance.
Recipients receive special entitlements to air transportation under the provisions of DOD Regulation 4515.13-R.
Special identification cards and commissary and exchange privileges are provided for Medal of Honor recipients and their eligible dependents.
Children of recipients are eligible for admission to the United States military academies without regard to the quota requirements.
Recipients receive a 10% increase in retired pay under 10 U.S.C. § 3991.
Those awarded the medal after October 23, 2002 also receive a Medal of Honor Flag. The law also specifies that all 103 living Medal of Honor recipients receive the flag along with all future recipients.(14 U.S.C. § 505).
As with all medals, retired personnel may wear the Medal of Honor on "appropriate" civilian clothing. Regulations also specify that recipients of the Medal of Honor are allowed to wear the uniform "at their pleasure" with standard restrictions on political, commercial, or extremist purposes; other former members of the armed forces may do so only at certain ceremonial occasions.[37][38]

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
On a side note, I've been working for the past 2 years to have a Silver Star upgraded to the Navy Cross; it's a nightmare in paperwork and telephone calls but I'm getting closer.

TH

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
The sgt is a Hero Plain and simple

In my Honest Opinion, he deserves everything including the MOH, but i also feel, To Have our Commander And Cheif speak of his Action in war to protect his fellow Soldiers, That is the Highest of them all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts