2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today started off just fine. Pam wanted a couple of hours on the 'puter and I wanted to go out in search of a few more items for sprucin' up the yard, Those desert roses included. Also wanted to pick up a few zenias and another Mexican fire bush.

I was just a rollin along on Spencer Hwy and all of a sudden my steering wheel starts trying to pull me over to the left. Looked over and sure enough, we were going by Academy. I thought, what the hey, it won't hurt to just pop in and do a little browsing through the camping section, you know, make sure I haven't overlooked a necessary item or anything. Ha, ha, ha, As it turns out I HAD over looke one or two items. Yeah, right! :spineyes:

One hour and over $100.00 later I walked out with my arms full and smoke comin' off the old credit card. What items had I over looked you ask? Well lemme see here. I started off with a 2 burner propane stove and a couple of bottles of propane. The I discovered a lantern stand which I just HAD to have. Next there was this nifty little battery opperated fan/light combo, DEFINITELY gotta have one a those, right? Then I decided that, what the heck, I'm into it now, might as well loosen up and get a coffe pot and some camp ware (plates and bowls and cups. Paper just don't make it for me.

See, all this started when I got the tent. But the truth is that you can't just get a tent, you have to get all that other stuff or the tent is perfectly useless, right. I mean, you have no bed, no light, no...STUFF. You would just have to sit in the middle of your dark tent, starving and wondering what the heck all the fuss is about camping.

I mean to get down to the beach next week and break some of this stuff in. I know it will be windy and the seaweed will prob'ly be 3' deep from the waters edge all the way back to the dunes. Still if there is ANY way that I get a shot at it, I'm gonna go for it.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot...I got the fire bush and the zinnias but I was still unable to locate any desert roses. I still have a couple of places to try but I had to hurry and get home and check out the camp stove and the light/fan. :D Yeah, yeah, it all works great. :)

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary said:
I bet you forgot skeeter spray and sunblock. Better go back to Academy. LOL
Naw, Gary, I keep them in the truck all the time. Actually this is not my first time at the rodeo. When Pam and I were young we tent-camped a lot. Had lots of STUFF and a huge ol' tent. Sold it all back toward the end of the '70s. I'm not sure now why we did that but I'd sure like to have some of that stuff back. Ah well, they say it's all better the 2nd time around.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Yeah, my sister and I went and bought my dad a new tent this past Christmas. The one he had was probably late 70's vintage; heavy and had what seemed like 100 poles. He was amazed at how easy the new one went up. Soem things they used to make better and some things they didn't or couldn't with materials available then. ;)

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Lol @wt427

Last trip, I left my air mattres behind. That wont happen again. Been flooded in my tent too. At least 4 times. In the last 2 years. LOL

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Yep, opening day for deer season 3yrs ago it rained and rained, 5inches worth in Grimes County. The only reason I wasn't sleeping in 3 inches of water in my tent was cause of that mattress.

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
[email protected] you and Gary!

WT427 said:
Yep, opening day for deer season 3yrs ago it rained and rained, 5inches worth in Grimes County. The only reason I wasn't sleeping in 3 inches of water in my tent was cause of that mattress.
I was there at his first official TTMB baptismal.So was WalkingJack. Still ROTF! His tent was underwater and my truck was sinking fast. We decided to make the best of a bad situation and absconded a willing partner to hit an awesome flounder hole by sunrise! Good memories there, Gary!

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Hey Jack, how bout a porta pottie, I hear it comes in handy when ya get up in age....LOL... j/k buddy

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WT427, I don't do the air matress thing any more. After all the heck I had with those darn things in my last camping life I'll never fool with 'em again. I have a folding cot that is very comfy and keeps me a foot or so off the tent floor.

Darrell, I got the potty thing covered. Yer right, it comes in MIGHTY handy! :D :D

Rick, thanks for stirrin' those memories for me. That WAS a heck of a week end. Lots of fun. And thanks again for not lettin' me get my feet sunburned! LOL!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Your car sounds like my dad's.

Except his makes turns when it sees Garage Sale and Estate Sale signs!!

I agree about the paper and plastic eating stuff, and sleeping on the ground, even with those little foam insulators, is not much fun unless you're young and fearless. First time we went camping we had a big air mattress, but the plug was bad and it went down in the middle of the night. Fun, fun, fun. Battery operated lanterns are good inside the tent and to carry when you go to the restrooms in the middle of the night. I gave up on the tent camping a few years back but find that lantern indispensable, especially when the lights go out in the house. If it's not a thunderstorm it's a transformer blowing out just when you are getting ready for bed!! Camping is one of those KISS things. The more you take, the more you have to pack up and haul back. Those 4 hour pack up/clean ups, fighting the mosquitos and humidity at the same time, was the reason I opted for a camper. Nothing like A/C and a soft bed.

Lil Bit

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Krash, yer link for the big dog site ain't workin for me.....

·
# 314
524 Posts
Try it now Darrell.I was up late last night putting the link for the new page on all the boards and overlooked something.I didn't realize how many I've joined.
Stringer is still getting everything up on the new site.I think it is supposed to have a guestbook soon,so keep checking.
This new one is way better than the one I was doing.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Rick

That was the first official beach gathering? How cool. Yea, that was some weekend. LOL. Ill never forget it. Send me a pic.

Krash, you re did the site? Got a forum? Ill look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts