2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MOD V Slave
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking it might be time to head further south. I'd like to try the Rockport area for some wade fishing and possible yakking. Since I am not familar with this area and do not wanna hire a guide, do any of ya'll have suggestions on where to go? I suppose I can buy one of the hooksetter maps for the area.

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
boat?

what kind of boat are you gonna be down there with? We fish r-port out of anything from a 22 footer to our litte 14 foot j-boat with a 6 hp on it so no matter what you are driving I can give you some spots

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
not sure

how it would be this time of year, but.....might try the Fulton side of the causway, away from the pier. I did fairly well over there, when I was working in Ingleside this past fall/winter.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Sorry, Never Heard Of The Place...

FROM EARLIER POST:

Tin-Can Reef: Located on the South end of Copano Bay Causeway. It is on the opposite side of the road from the entrance to the South end of the fishing pier. Exit off of the road onto white shell and drive as far as possible without driving into the water. Walk past the fenceline (easy to see - the only fenceline there) and walk past it for about 100 yards. Then proceed as if you were walking straight into the middle of the bay until a little over waist deep. Start casting.

Goose Island: Pay your 2 bucks and drive to the fishing pier parking area. Walk onto and completely across the pier until you reach the steps ON THE RIGHT SIDE of the pier. The steps will take you onto an above water shell reef. Walk to and out in the water about 30 feet or so. None of it is over your head unless your a shorty. When you reach the point where the arch of the the fishing pier (I say arch for the lack of a better term - sort of a rainbow arch) is directly over our right shoulder, start casting directly in front of you. Move about freely left or right. I have started catching trout merely by moving 15 feet away from or toward the pier. There's likely to be others there too. Early in the a.m. until 9:30 or 10:00 and the again in the p.m. from 6:00 to dusk. If the tides are moving in the heat of the day, they don't seem to want to cooperate. Don't cast too far or you'll hook the outhouses in the parking lot. LOL!

At that point there is a small channel that runs from right to left (and vice versa). When there is an outgoing current you'll have the best luck. Out going tide will be water moving FROM the pier and not towards it from where you'll be standing. Good trout and flounder. Lots of oyster shell so keep it just off the bottom. Good Luck. CF?

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
ComeFrom? said:
FROM EARLIER POST:

Tin-Can Reef: Located on the South end of Copano Bay Causeway. It is on the opposite side of the road from the entrance to the South end of the fishing pier. Exit off of the road onto white shell and drive as far as possible without driving into the water. Walk past the fenceline (easy to see - the only fenceline there) and walk past it for about 100 yards. Then proceed as if you were walking straight into the middle of the bay until a little over waist deep. Start casting.
sounds like the place.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
RJ, You can also try the aransas pass channel. It has easy access and can be good in the evening after the boat traffic dies, if it does. If you have a yak you can get into good flats fishing on either side of the channel or check out lighthouse lakes further towards port A. There is also the flats behind Mustang Island that have some vehicle access. Bring an up to date map and be aware of the rays in the deep grass!!! Take your tops wherever you go, the smaller the better in warm skinny water. PA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts