2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hate being on a soap box but here goes .Friday two brothers 11 and 7 were on the family john deere gator near their house with no parental supervision .We all know gators are not known for their speed and are low slung and wide . Evidentally they were crossing a small creek or ditch when it overturned pinning the youngest ,he is now dead and a family is devastated .

Think Twice about letting kids alone on ATV'S ,,remember most of them think they can pull off Xgames stuff .... growing up we had Evil Kneivel and we thought he was an idiot !!!
I'll get down now sorry but this was a great little man we lost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Sorry to hear it. We have had several accidents where kids have been killed on an ATV here locally over the years. My kids never drive my ATV. They only ride it if I am driving, period. Just too many things can go wrong.
 

·
Gilmore Hunt Club
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
They ought to have some type of regulator on the ATV if they are going to have anyone under 18 on them. My nephew had a couple of near fatal mistakes on his.
 

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Horrible tragedy for the family, but a great reminder post. I spend countless hours on a 4 wheeler at work and had a VERY near fatal accident last October on one of mine. It just takes a split second for things to go wrong.
 

·
Give it hell Remy!
Joined
·
42,851 Posts
That is terrible news Dennis. Prayers to the kids family. I too flipped one when I was younger. Still have the scars from the Browning bolt that went into me when I landed on it with the 3 wheeler on top of me. I have not owned one since. I'm not against those that do but in West Texas where there are rocks sticking up everywhere they are very dangerous at any speed with enough momentum to turn you over. I hope the other kid is OK and doesn't have too many mental scars from this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,257 Posts
Sorry to hear about the kids... Kids can tend to have improper judgement but sometimes it can be a matter of lack of knowledge on how to properly manuever and acceptable speeds for different terrain. I grew up using ours with no major issues but that was because I was taught how to handle it and everything. One of the biggest issues in my opinion is people letting their kids drive something with more power or too large for them to handle...although i believe kids can handle them if properly trained, i agree that in some cases parents should just say no...
 

·
TAKE A KID HUNTIN AND FISHIN
Joined
·
284 Posts
Ive got 4 kids,that hits too close to home.My prayers are with you and your family......
 

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
Joined
·
13,305 Posts
That is just terrible.


I have a 6x6 and my 10 year old can drive it with me behind him where I can take over steering / throttle. The only time he is on it by himself is if I am opening a gate for him to drive through. No solo rides.................. period.
 

·
TAKE A KID HUNTIN AND FISHIN
Joined
·
284 Posts
AggieTwist said:
Sorry to hear about the kids... Kids can tend to have improper judgement but sometimes it can be a matter of lack of knowledge on how to properly manuever and acceptable speeds for different terrain. I grew up using ours with no major issues but that was because I was taught how to handle it and everything. One of the biggest issues in my opinion is people letting their kids drive something with more power or too large for them to handle...although i believe kids can handle them if properly trained, i agree that in some cases parents should just say no...
Im gonna be the devils advocate and open myself up to alot of critism here but i agree with AggieTwist,we grew up on 3 wheelers but we were taught how to ride them,of my 3 sons all 3 have been ridden many a mile around our deer lease,sitting in my lap, over the last 17 years and they have been allowed to ride when and where i felt comfortable as to what thier ability would allow.From the time they could barely reach the shift lever they were riding around camp,not off roading,4 wheeling or running creeks or mud holes all over the lease but riding at low speeds on the level flat road right in our camp,where i could plant my foot in thier behind if they did something unsafe.How else are kids gonna learn unless we teach them.

With all that aside,again,im so sorry for the family who lost the child.Unbearable.......Your in our prayers
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,588 Posts
ETXHNTR said:
Im gonna be the devils advocate and open myself up to alot of critism here but i agree with AggieTwist,we grew up on 3 wheelers but we were taught how to ride them,of my 3 sons all 3 have been ridden many a mile around our deer lease,sitting in my lap, over the last 17 years and they have been allowed to ride when and where i felt comfortable as to what thier ability would allow.From the time they could barely reach the shift lever they were riding around camp,not off roading,4 wheeling or running creeks or mud holes all over the lease but riding at low speeds on the level flat road right in our camp,where i could plant my foot in thier behind if they did something unsafe.How else are kids gonna learn unless we teach them.

With all that aside,again,im so sorry for the family who lost the child.Unbearable.......Your in our prayers
My 6 year old has a 4 wheeler. This is unimaginable! I couldn't bear it if something happened. My deepest sympathies and prayers to the family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
I Just Purchased One Last Friday For My 5 Year Old Grandson And It Sends Chill Sup My Spine To Hear This. But It Is The Same As A Bullet Richotte(sp), Tree Falling On Someone, Getting Hit With An Axe, Shocked Or Whatever. Accidents Happen Is What I Am Trying To Say And Hunting Can Be Dangerous, But Is All So Much Fun And Adventureous. This I Will Not Keep From My Grandson.

The Atv I Bought Has A Parent Remote That Can Turn Off The Motor Anytime I Deem Necessary And It Has A Governor That Will Be Set Low Until He Gains His Riding Skills.

I Have Learned From Experience Boys Will Be Boys And Given The Opportunity They Will Try Extreme Riding. They Have To Be Supervised Period.

I Hate To Hear This And My Preayers Are With Them And The Families Involved.
 

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Redfishr said:
Redfisher, I'm just guessin (and hoping) here, but I'm sure they didn't go out and buy a big ol Brute Force or Grizzly for their 5 and 6 year old kiddos. I've seen the little tiny 4 wheelers that are basically runnin a chainsaw motor that, with the proper safety gear and supervision could be safely operated by a youngster.

I am a pretty firm believer in learnin by doin, and I don't think kids should be "sheltered" by their parents, but I also don't agree with puttin a toddler behind the wheel of a top fuel dragster and tellin em to take off either!
 

·
Too far from the ocean ...
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
I too am saddened by the original post and feel terrible for the parents. But this is an excellent thread that brings up some very important issues.

The simple truth is that you can't protect your kids from everything. All you can do is train them as best you can and try to prepare them for life. Shielding your children from life doesn't work either: your kids will just become worthless or timid adults. We know nothing of the parents in the original post, but I'll bet that they are fine people and made every attempt to correctly educate their kids in the correct usage of atvs. In the absence of other information, I can't find it in my heart to criticize their choices; in situations like this it's so easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.

To be sure, sometimes fate is very cruel. This very thread was started in response to such a tragedy, but most of the time I think we have to trust in a benevolent future and let children grow through action and experience.

It's a fine line we walk in these situations.
 

·
Redfish Extraordinaire
Joined
·
2,424 Posts
Redfishr said:
I have had my OWN 4wheeler since I was 5 and I'm alive..... You just teach the kid the proper way to drive it. If they don't just take it away and they will learn. Plus I am sure they didn't buy their kids 600cc bikes........ and all the smaller bikes have throttle adjustment screws that act as a governor.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,099 Posts
triple f said:
Redfisher, I'm just guessin (and hoping) here, but I'm sure they didn't go out and buy a big ol Brute Force or Grizzly for their 5 and 6 year old kiddos. I've seen the little tiny 4 wheelers that are basically runnin a chainsaw motor that, with the proper safety gear and supervision could be safely operated by a youngster.

I am a pretty firm believer in learnin by doin, and I don't think kids should be "sheltered" by their parents, but I also don't agree with puttin a toddler behind the wheel of a top fuel dragster and tellin em to take off either!
Your right, I was thinking of the full size ones like I have.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top