2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to my lease in Port Lavaca this past weekend. One of my reasons for going was to test out my new ThermaCell. This lease has costal bay frontage, marsh and the aera has had LOTS of rain the past few months. Its basically the perfect mosquito breeding ground. I arrived at the ranch gate at 9pm on friday. I stepped out of the truck to unlock the gate and I could hear the high pithced whine of thousands of mosquitoes. They were thick! After spraying my self with high octane 40% Deet Sportsmans Off! It was survivable, but the mosquitoes were still flying around me, in my ears, and bouncing off my clothes....just not biting. SO...this is where I cranked up the ThermaCell. I sat it on top of my cooler, grabbed a cold one, and waited. Within 10 minutes, the high pitced whine of close by mosquitoes had ceased. They were no longer bouncing off my arms and legs. They were gone. The ThermaCell worked like a charm!!!! I was not moving around too much, just kind of haning out around the ThermaCell and was free of any flying insect. The effects diminish when moving around too much with the it. But as soon as you get still.....the bugs leave. Over all, I rate the device as OUTSTANDING. I would not have been able to enjoy my weekend with just OFF! The thermacell was the ticket. I give it an A++. Best 30 bucks ive spent on hunting gear this year.

·
Headhunter...Fishhunter.. .Deerhunter...
1,586 Posts
Did you fish, or see any rattlers? I will be down in a couple weeks (Not this weekend, but next, if you want to go gig some flounders etc)

·
Eric Garcia, Premier-Yamaha San Antonio
1,141 Posts
I hope you didnt see an rattlers !!!!!! anyhow, good report. I need to invest in one of those puppies. The fishing was pretty good despite all the fresh water in the bays, I caught four reds last weekend fishing the east side of the lease. Theres lots of shell tho and they will cut you off quick if your not paying attention.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
El Cazador said:
Thanks Heavy; I will definitely be getting one or two for archery season. What size batteries do those use? and how long did they last? Thanks for the heads up.
The ThermaCell does not use batteries. It runs on small butane cartridges that heat up a cardboard disk. The disks are good for 4 hours or so and the butane cartridge lasts for about 2 disks......

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been using them for two years and love them. I bow hunt with one and it does not bother the game. The disc works for 4 hours and the cartridge lasts for 4 discs, app. I do nat go out with out one. Yes it will work in a breeze. I light mine as soon as I get into stand and within a couple minutes the mosquitos are gone. I shut it down a few minutes before I get out of my stand, because they get hot. I put it on my bottom platform if I am in climber or lock on, if i am on ground I sit it beside me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts