2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was starting to think people were full of it with the talk of catching red snapper in state waters... been fishing Port A from my own boat since 2006 and had never caught a keeper red snapper within 9 nautical miles... until today! We ran out today (11/22) in near perfect conditions. Waves were about 1' and it was around 72 degrees air temp.. can't beat that! First spot we stopped at I dropped anchor, drifted back, and was right over the target on the first try. Using live shrimp on light spinning tackle and 12lb test line, we were immediately catching snapper. There were 3 of us fishing and we ended up keeping 12 red snapper and 2 mangroves. Nothing big but the ones we kept were between 16-18 inches. We threw back a bunch more. Tried drifting ribbon fish for kings at the same spot but all the ribbons caught were more snapper.
Water was dirty brown all the way out. Sorry, no pics.. I was too tired to take any after cleaning the boat and getting it put up.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Do not know where you fished but last time I was in port A we caught real keeper
Snaps @ J & J wk. (State Waters in my book). We also looked at some of the
close art. reefs and marked structure and some fish but did not catch any there
at that time. That was over a month ago. Burt-(Kid Doc) tells me in the colder
months they have keeper Snaps also. Thanks for the report! Rik

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, it was the J&J Wreck

Do not know where you fished but last time I was in port A we caught real keeper
Snaps @ J & J wk. (State Waters in my book)
Yes sir, that would be the spot! It seemed to be a really small wreck, thats why I was so supprised that I was able to drop anchor and drift right back over it.. guess some days you just get lucky. And of course I got the numbers from your book. Im sure looking forward to a 2010 update!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Thanks for the plug!

Yes sir, that would be the spot! It seemed to be a really small wreck, thats why I was so supprised that I was able to drop anchor and drift right back over it.. guess some days you just get lucky. And of course I got the numbers from your book. Im sure looking forward to a 2010 update!!
Thanks! Very suprising how small some wrecks are that hold lots of fish.
After I found Red Mountain and several other vergin spots it was several
trips till I located the apex of the wreck itself! Some spots only mark when fish are present. After you pinpoint it you can sometimes just stop right on the money, soak some baits and here they come even when marking nothing to start. Right you are on my 2010 book as there will be lots of new Port A readings! Rik

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.