2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Spot"
July 20, 2006

This past week has offered some really exciting fishing. Just the other day, we had the pleasure to wade fish with the guys from Ford Motor Company who sponsors the Star Tournament. Bay Flats Team guides Harold Dworaczyk and Mark Robinson did an excellent job keeping the crew on fish the entire day. They ended up with 7 man limits of trout and a mix redfish, and released several mid 20-inch trout. According to Mark, the best action early in the morning was on tequila gold Norton bull minnows. He was fishing in knee deep water over sand and grass, while working his 6'6" Laguna Rod Texas Wader II slowly with an up and down motion. Around 11:00 AM, Mark moved over to where Harold's group was wading, this was hard sand with a deep gut. With the water temperatures heating up, the guys found the best action across the sand floor while slowly working the Mardi Gras Norton bull minnows back to them.

Now, let's talk about the "realities" of fishing with artificial lures during the month of July. As I was typing the above paragraph and sharing the glory, I remember the very next day fishing the exact same spot - we only pulled four trout out of that same spot that next day. Stay with me, as it's going to get interesting. So, we licked our wounds and regrouped. I went to the same area two days later, and we had our way with the trout. We had several 3lb. trout that we landed while using lime-green Corky Devil, and we walked away with limits of trout. However, here is the rest of the story. The very next day, I took a customer down the same shoreline, and we only managed five trout from that same spot. As of late, I feel like a CSI (Crime Scene Investigator) attempting to locate pieces to solve a mysterious crime puzzle. One day we hammer the trout, with the crime being that the next day we find that all the evidence has been tampered with. It is for this very reason that I have spoken to you on several past occasions as to the importance of you fishing the conditions, and not simply fishing "the spot".

It is common for us all to get caught up in the moment of discovery of a producing locale, and to take the easy way out the very next day, or even the next weekend, by re-visiting the exact same spot. Remember to take mental note of what is going on around you next time you locate a strong bite in any one given place. The fish are generally stacked in that vicinity for a reason, so it's up to you to determine why. Notice the wind direction and strength at the time, and mentally record what the tide happened to be doing at the time that you got into the fish. What was the water clarity? Were the majority of the strikes taking place at the edge of a water color-change - the area where muddy water was meeting clear green water? Did the bite come off of a hard sandy bottom, or were the fish congregated over mud, shell, grass, or a mixture of any of these? What was the bait situation like in that spot where you got into 'em yesterday? Did there seem to be never-ending herds of mullet segregated up and down the entire shoreline? And were the bait fish seemingly active, or simply there in an un-nervous type presence? Did you happen upon the fish in the cooler morning hours of the day, or did that even seem to be a factor on that particular day? All of these, and others, are questions you must attempt to recall the answers to next time you decide to re-visit yesterday's successful playground only to find that fish aren't wanting to play anymore. So, next time this happens to you, stop and take a moment to look around you. Absent any major weather, structural, or environmental changes over the course of your absence since your last visit, the chances are great that the fish haven't moved too terribly far from where they were before.

In closure, I wish to convey a well deserved congratulations to Bay Flats own Capt. Harold Dworaczyk, and his teammate Aaron Wollam, on winning 1st place in the Texas Redfish Series Matagorda tournament. It is results such as this that only continue to enhance our ability to serve our customers with the determination, experience, and pride they so desire and deserve. As a reminder, we currently remain on course for Fall construction of our new lodge facilities, and are anxious to share the excitement with all of you. Stay tuned for more exciting information and photos in future Guide Line editions and Bay Flats newsletters. Remember to practice CPR, "Catch, Photo, and Release", whenever possible on trophy Trout and Reds…Guide Chris Martin, Port O'Connor/Seadrift region…www.BayFlatsLodge.com…1-888-677-4868

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
Very Nice

Piece of writing pods!!!!

Looking forward to getting down there!

J

1 - 2 of 2 Posts