2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The buzz word this time of year is always when is the rut happening? Of course any time is a good time to be hunting but personally I'd rather hunt pre or post rut. I hunt nearly three to four days a week during december on my LaSalle county ranch.

Things picked up the first weekend of December as the mature bucks were popping out of the woodwork. During the second weekend it looked to me like the rut was in full swing because the big mature bucks were hard to find. Unless you just happened to stumble right on top of one with a doe. This was the worst weekend for mature buck sightings. This past weekend I saw almost every mature buck I had been looking for. They were on the move looking for does. I would have rated this weekend as post rut.

So my point is to me the worst week to hunt is during the rut. The best weeks are the week before the rut and the two or three weeks after the rut. This is the time that the bucks are covering some ground and are vulnerable. When I say the rut I mean the week when the majority of the breeding takes place. I know that rutting activity happens all the way in to February at times.

What are your thoughts on hunting "the rut".

·
It ain't easy bein me.........
13,528 Posts
I agree.....I think one of the biggest mistakes made during the "peak" is going to a spot and sittin on it for a prolonged period. During the peak I think you need to keep moving and as you say, you're more likely to stumble on a mature buck with a doe. If you do happen to stumble on one, he ain't goin nowhere as long as the doe doesn't!

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Pretty much the way I see it. Pre-rut, bucks on the move looking for love. Post rut, the same. During the rut, paired up and not moving as much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts