2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I hope ya'll don't get sick of me while I tweak this boat. I have a 14.5' Shoalwater cat with 70HP Yamaha. Currently have a 4 blade 16 pitch prop on it. It has great hole shot, minimal bow rise but only a top end of 32 mph. I'd like some more top end out of it and am going to try an 18 pitch with more cup next. Shoalcat kinda gave me sorry horror stories of his previous experience. Shoalwater claims these boats will run 40 when rigged right. Here is the question ... do any of you (who have these boats) know the exact prop that should go on the boat to do what I'm trying to acheive?

Thanks for your help!

·
From Hope and Change 2 Dope and Strange
548 Posts
I don't think your gonna get near 40 with that 70 hp. I told you 28-30 with a 60 hp and 37-38 with a 90 hp. I would check the rpm's agine since you got the tach worked out before changing the prop. If the rpm's are right and your happy with the hole shot, you better leave it along.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have the 60 Etec on mine, run a 15 Pitch 4 blade. Top end rpms run 5500 - 5700, depending on the load. The hole shot is more important to me than the top end so the 4 blade is fine. Contact Justin_Time, he was having a prop built for his ShoalCat.

·
Gone Fishin'
1,196 Posts
I also have a 145 cat w/ a 60 Etec. I am currently running a 15p, cupped and ported 3 blade. I had Baumann build me one according to what I wanted the boat to do. I didn’t want to sacrifice hole shot and most definitely wanted the best top end possible. So far, this prop has been great. I am getting right at 30mph out of it and can jump up with ease. I am also running between 5500-5700 depending on load.

I also had the stock 13p 4 blade that came on the boat modified to a 15p, cupped 4 blade that I have yet to run. I will probably throw it on over the winter when I am scouting, as I have found no need to stray away from the Baumann 3 blade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts