2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Thursday I'm sitting at work and I get an email from my wife that says, among other things, that if I don't have any client visits for Friday, she'd like to go offshore. Now, you've got to know a little about my wife to appreciate the magnitude of this statement. This is a woman that won't take baths because it's too much water and makes her nervous. I mean, she gets a little freaked out if the water in the shower comes over the top of her feet and she's wanting to go out of sight of land? Of course, my first thought is that she's just making a token offer to do something that I enjoy so much and hoping I won't act on it but further questioning shows that she is indeed serious so I figure this is probably a once in a lifetime chance and jump on it.

Friday we head out of Matagorda around 11:00 or so in light rain with scattered showers all over but no wind to speak of and she's still gung ho. We hit the jetties and things get a little bit rougher, nothing serious, just your typical inlet stuff and she wants a life jacket. I think to myself, OK that was fun but we'll probably be turning around now so I ask if she's had enough fun and she says NO, keep going. Huh? OK, out we go about 15 miles or so and fish some of the short rigs. We werent' sure if the storms had any real heavy rain in them so we never did push out very far and we didn't stay out too long but we did catch a few VERY small snapper (picture 1 is my wife with her first ever snapper. Notice the sea state but she's still got her life jacket on :) ) We head back in around 3:00 or so and on the way home, she says she'd like to try again tomorrow if the weather is a little better.

Sat we leave around noon and run out about 25 miles. The water looked terrible (green) and I didn't have a lot of confidence that we were going to do much good. Today she's not wearing the life jacket and, although the seas are a little rougher than the day before, she's enjoying the ride immensly. WE mess around with a few rigs inside of 25 miles and I tell her that I just don't think we're going to be catching any good fish in water this shallow, especially with it being this nasty green. She asks where we need to go and I tell her I've got some good spots about 40 miles out, to which she replies, Let's go. I was shocked. I mean, 25 miles is a long way for someone that hates/fears water as much as she does (did?) but she was game so off we went. We hit the spot about 3:30 and stayed until 5:00 and caught a 5 pound or so snapper, another keeper and a B-Liner. We also lost what felt to be a pretty decent AJ (hit like a freight train, ran into the rig and broke me off), another nice snapper and about a 35# ling that I lost at the boat when it broke the leader, along with the typical small stuff. Picture 2 is her with the catch.

We had a great time both days and I'm thrilled that she seems to have gotten over this fear. She definitely loved it and is ready to go again today if she could.

BTW - Blue water was over 30 miles out of Matagorda on Sat and yesterday I ran about 45 miles out of Freeport in a friends boat and never got out of green water.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
that's a good lookin' batch of fish, Bernie. It's also good to see an offshore boat with actual type 1 PFD's on board.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I hope mine comes around soon. I keep asking and she keeps saying no but the kids love it.

·
(Not even captain of my own destiny)
535 Posts
Then there's always the other problem....

I don't get to go very much due to the fact when we were dating I took her offshore a couple times and she loved it, then Cabo for the honeymoon, back for the five year anniversary.
Whats the problem then you say?
Well, somebody has to watch the kids!
And if she can't go, then I get the big guilt trip!
As soon as my kids are big enough (they are 5 and 8 this month, and I'd hate to take them out on a party boat, and them have a bad time and can't go back in) we are definitely going, probably next year.
Would be a lot easier with our own offshore boat, but thats not in the cards yet....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hang in there Capt Academy

Don't waste your money on those party boats with the kids. About the same price to take a 6 pack charter. The boat will be all yours and you will have a capt and deckhand to take care of everything you need. I was the deckhand in July on a charter that included 2 dads, 2 sons ages 7 & 11 and 2 daughters ages 9 & 13. Get some comfortable lifejackets and go!! We had a blast, the 7 year old caught a 15+lb dog snapper on a drift line. He needed a little help, but not much! Everyone on the the boat had a personal best, not hard to do for the kids, but the dads really got into it as well. I think they were worried about the kids not having fun in the beginning, but it is a trip I will remember for a long time so I cannot imagine how the dads felt.

Andy Carter

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip to me BG. Maybe you have found a new fishing partner. By the looks of the picture, the weather wasn't perfect, and she still enjoyed it.. Thats a definite plus.

·
Registered
678 Posts
next goal!

now that she likes it, you need to teach her how to drive the boat so you can kick back and relax on the long runs. kim is doing some driving, just needs more seat time to get comfortable. great report.

bone

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Shoot my wife is so afraid of the water she won't get in the boat when it's on the trailer......the only time I was able to get her in the boat (on the trailer and the truck was not hooked to the trailer) was to hold a though hull fitting.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
CaptC, the only boat my wife ever got on is the outrigger canoe in Costa. She has stood on the edge of my trailer and looked in the boat and that is it. She is too short to get her leg over the side anyhow.

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,920 Posts
BG,
Did you guys see a Grey Chapparal out there around 12 or so? 9 miles out? were ya'll in a CC with no top? We were out of Matty about 15 miles caught a couple of Kings and Spanish Macks and a lot of rain.

·
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes we were. Were you guys trolling? We did see a couple of boats trolling and I think one was a Chapparal but can't remember for sure.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
Yes, we were trolling. I was sure hoping we would of had a little better weather. But everytime I go fishing with BDRR it rains or is rough. I think he is bad luck. But atleast he got a small king.

·
1,920 Posts
Yeah that was us trolling, Man you guys were crazier than us, no top, in the rain and you were moving when i saw you last. Glad to hear someone caught something. yeah I think I am bad luck with the weather and Michael.

·
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bigdaddyriverrat said:
Yeah that was us trolling, Man you guys were crazier than us, no top, in the rain and you were moving when i saw you last. Glad to hear someone caught something. yeah I think I am bad luck with the weather and Michael.
A little rain never hurt anyone. Besides, them fish are already wet.

Seriously, we really didn't get very wet. Mostly just light showers and we didn't stay in them very long.

·
1,920 Posts
Yeah my wife made me promise we wouldn't go out if there was lightning. Terry Driggers and crew ran out of Matagorda and were headed 50+ Not sure if they made it that far. It was kind of funny watching the third member of the party staring at the reels trying not to puke!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts