2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard this same song as a child. Once in a movie though I forget which. The 2nd line goes...." The monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole. The people gathered round to see his eyes roll..." Here is some info I found. Perhaps you search further from this tidbit of info. When I tried it only shows where you can buy sheet music.

What's the name of that march that goes, "Oh, the monkey wrapped its tail around the flagpole..."?

I don't know why this is the most popular question I get asked, but it is! The march these words were concocted for is not by Sousa at all. They go to E. E. Bagley's "National Emblem" march, probably the most famous non-Sousa patriotic march. I don't know the origin of the words, but I'm relatively sure that Mr. Bagley did not write them... hehe. Another interesting fact about National Emblem: the melody first strain is based on "The Star Spangled Banner."

:::::::Medic bows deeply at this point::::::

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
WVAMEDIC said:
:::::::Medic bows deeply at this point::::::
what are you bowing for, go find the lyrics that she actually asked for.

Here's what I found so far (http://www.perfessorbill.com/index2.htm):
E. E. Bagley - 1907: This march is very familiar through its use in movies, circus bands, and patriotic events. The National Emblem of question is, of course, the United States flag, which had only 45 stars at the time of composition. At some point, very much in the way that The Stars and Stripes Forever acquired it's famous "web footed friends" chorus, National Emblem managed to have a parody lyric attached to the second section that went, "Oh the monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole..." which will not be completed as a matter of good taste. The march was reformatted as a song at the end of World War One in 1918, with retrofitted lyrics by Robert Levenson. The retitled piece was called That's What the Red, White and Blue Means. There is a good amount of variety in this rousing march, including a paraphrase of The Star Spangled Banner in the opening section. The second section is broken up by a multi-octave melody at the beginning of each phrase. Then the trio starts with a pulsing march rhythm removing the oom-pah feeling for at least the first half. The end result is a truly nationalistic American march that stands on its own, even when surrounded by Sousa favorites and familiar European standards. Please, please don't ask me for the "naughty" lyrics as I do not have a complete set of them, and have heard the bulk of them in passing only. I have nothing to send back in this case except the retrofitted lyrics linked above.

·
Banned
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps you could search for The Wedding March also so you can use it at your parents wedding. <smile>

G

·
Lyrics

speckle-catcher said:
what are you bowing for, go find the lyrics that she actually asked for.

Here's what I found so far (http://www.perfessorbill.com/index2.htm):
E. E. Bagley - 1907: This march is very familiar through its use in movies, circus bands, and patriotic events. The National Emblem of question is, of course, the United States flag, which had only 45 stars at the time of composition. At some point, very much in the way that The Stars and Stripes Forever acquired it's famous "web footed friends" chorus, National Emblem managed to have a parody lyric attached to the second section that went, "Oh the monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole..." which will not be completed as a matter of good taste. The march was reformatted as a song at the end of World War One in 1918, with retrofitted lyrics by Robert Levenson. The retitled piece was called That's What the Red, White and Blue Means. There is a good amount of variety in this rousing march, including a paraphrase of The Star Spangled Banner in the opening section. The second section is broken up by a multi-octave melody at the beginning of each phrase. Then the trio starts with a pulsing march rhythm removing the oom-pah feeling for at least the first half. The end result is a truly nationalistic American march that stands on its own, even when surrounded by Sousa favorites and familiar European standards. Please, please don't ask me for the "naughty" lyrics as I do not have a complete set of them, and have heard the bulk of them in passing only. I have nothing to send back in this case except the retrofitted lyrics linked above.
"Be kind to your webfooted friends
for a duck may be somebody's mother.
It lives in a swamp and a swamp is. . .
an awful dump."

"Oh the monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole
just to watch the hair grow
around his [email protected] . ."

Is this really AJ? ;)

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
the duck lyric is from "stars & stripes forever"

Found another occurence - in synopsis of Law & Order Episode 2-4 (#26) Original air date 10/8/91:
"As he's being handcuffed, Tatum sings a song about a monkey that wrapped its tail around a flagpole."

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm! I am amazed at everyones tremendous info on my favorite march of all time. Have played it many times and we did sing the the little "Diddie" that is unprintable in one concert.

It is a very dynamic march with a lot of nuances, that when played correctly and
with out the interpretation of the conductor, is a marvelous work. For an older piece it has a rather active drum part which is a lot of fun to play. The orchestra that I play in uses it at all functions when ever a patriotic program is in order.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey Medic..............Are you a musician? Not to many non musical types know what a "Strain" is

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Wow!

I did know that the song "oh, the monkey wrapped its tail around a flagpole" was from a Sousa march. And I have seen bands perform the march with a lot of humor.
I really, really appreciate the digging for info on this song. I know someone will find the words.
As for the duck. I can remember we sang that a lot in Jr. High. These are the words I can remember ....

Be kind to your web footed friends,
for a duck maybe somebody's mother.
They live way out there in the swamp,
where the weather is cold and damp.

You may think that this is the end,
well it is ..............

At least that's the way I remember it.
At the same time we were singing the duck song we were singing

Let's Remember Pearl Harbor
History in ev'ry century
Records an act that lives forevermore.
We'll recall, as into line we fall
The thing that happened on Hawaii's shore

Let's remember Pearl Harbor
As we go to meet the foe
As we did the Alamo.

We will always remember
how they died for Liberty
And go on to victory.

As we go to meet the foe
As we did the Alamo.

We will always remember
How they died for Liberty
And go on to victory

BELOW SEE PHOTO OF USS WEST VIRGINIA RIGHT AFTER JAPS STRIKE PEARL HARBOR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts