2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ling run is on strong right now. Went out Friday out of Galveston just before noon with a raging hangover. Slick seas running out 20-25 miles. Rig hopped looking for ling and they were on just about every rig and stand pipe in the area. Saw probably a dozen, caught 2..they are finnicky. Both caught on jigs, live bait netted a 30 lb king and and a few sharks. Also a good sized jack on a jig. Back home by 4 and eating fried ling at 9.
Some cobia stay all summer but there are alot of others moving through RIGHT NOW so get out there and hit em. Not many fish taste better.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, Spro jigs, use something in the 1-2oz range with a big fat bright colored curly tail.

No trolling, pull up to rig and deploy baits. When the ling come up to take a look at you, its sight casting at its finest. No need to hang around a rig longer than 15-20 minutes if you haven't seen any ling yet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
ling, etc

Glad you guys had a great trip. I started to stop by your place about dinner time, but remembered the big german shepherd. We caught numerous AJ's(kept only 3) and a few snapper on Saturday our near the clay piles, seas were to 2 to 3'.
OH yea, we sorta caught 1 ling at 160+' of water(which is the deepest I've ever seen them), but instead of gaffing, etc.,Brandon graps the line and pulls it straight out of water, off it goes(they have tender mouths).

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dohhh!--I hate when that happens.

Don't sweat Kimber, she's a good dog. Next weather break I'm going again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts