2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is asked quite often and I really dont think it can be answered cause there are so many "greatest guitar players" out there. Lets try to get a little top ten list goin. My first pick would be the late SRV.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
You can mark me down as a vote for Eric Clapton. SRV was the best blues artist ever but Clapton is right up there with him and he is versitile. He can do anything he want's with a guitar and in my humble opinion the is the best picker in the business today.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
A Tall order!

You guitar guys might get a little bent. What do you nean by the best? yea SRV was the best at the blues (mainly because of his tone). Clapton was hot in the day. Roy Clark was somthing else.Did stuff that was very inovative. But what about kats like Pat Methany? He has got to be in the top ten. Also, you have to consider styles. Jazz, blues, country, flaminco etc. I have heard some flaminco players that blow the doors off anyone I have ever heard. Just so I don't ruffle any feathers (because guitar guys a sensitive), I am going to say Pat Methany followed by SRV. BTW, the Kat in Capt Kat is short for Jazz Kat( and the fact that I have spent more time in a boat than is probably healthy). Music is one of favorite topics of dicussion. I am interested in what you guys come up with.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
You diffently need a break down

BB King, Randy Rhoads, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, What about Chuck Berry, Toni Iommi, Pete Townshend, Kirk Hammet, Joe Satriani, and I believe the one that should be listed (if for only speed) Yngwie Mamlsteen.

It takes all kinds, and then it takes a few to steal four cords..LOL
There are others, many many others that deserve to be named.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Eric clapton - pretty versitile
Roy Clark and Chet Atkins - in there day, trend setters
SRV, BB - limited
I'm more of an acoustic listener so I'm out of my limits on el. but I'm impressed by Ricky Scaggs. I like the bluegrass and he's like Clark. He can play anything with a string, and play it well.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Clapton - He played several genres of music, and played them all as well or better than anyone else!

Muddy & The Wolf
Derek & the Dominos
Cream
and of course, just Eric Clapton!!

Also have to give props to SRV, Randy Rhoads, James Hetfield, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, and of course, RD! ;)

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Ernest

I love all kinds of music, well except hard core rap. Have you ever heard of
Yngwie Mamlsteen?
I think I hit every evolution of music, as a child, lamplighter cafe in Pampa Texas. Grew up with all the great folks at the local VFW and Hee Haw at night. As a teen, did the banging. Started adulthood in the military and moved to blues..LOL I even listen only to talk radio for a year or two. Now, nothing seems to bother me, if it has a good tone, beat and little to no foul language to make a point I will listen.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts