2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
14,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need opinions. Changing out 3 in my rig. One for TM, one for eng.,one for accessories. Many flavors out there I know. Need something! Best bang for the buck. Help me make my mind up. Thanx...................

· fish control my brain
7,841 Posts
V-Bottom said:
Need opinions. ..... Best bang for the buck. ...Thanx...................
Everyone is on the Gel cell/ AGM battery kick.....

They cost twice as much, and SOMEtimes last twice as long....

The best bang for the buck....is.....Wal-Mart or Academy wet cells....

Keep them maintained by checking fluids every other month and the terminals clean.....

Keep recipts for when the fail.......you should get 2 - 3 yrs out of a good marine battery

· Registered
2,274 Posts
MY Bass pro AGM troll / starter lasted me 11 months and failed the other day. A short, could not charge. Its a high dollar, top of the line $150 dollar battery. They swapped me for a free one. No questions asked. I just wonder, my former battery, a Walmart Everstart lasted me 3-1/2 years, and it costed me 50 bucks.

· Do you know who I think I am???
5,487 Posts
Muddskipper said:
Everyone is on the Gel cell/ AGM battery kick.....

They cost twice as much, and SOMEtimes last twice as long....

The best bang for the buck....is.....Wal-Mart or Academy wet cells....

Keep them maintained by checking fluids every other month and the terminals clean.....

Keep recipts for when the fail.......you should get 2 - 3 yrs out of a good marine battery
I agree with this... go with regular wet cells from Academy. I just had a project at work were I had to "deep cycle" batteries everyday for six weeks and the only ones that would hold a charge after that abuse were the 79.99 deep cycles from Academy and I had a big mix of gels, agms, and wets. They also are 115 amp hour rated and most gels and agms are around 750 amp hours.

Also, keep in mind you do not want to start your boat with strictly a deep cycle. So you might want to go with a deep cycle for your trolling motor and accessories and a starting or dual purpose for you motor.

You would not want to "deep cycle" a gel or agm, they are not made for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.