2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as most of you probably know, the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that struck haiti on tuesday has devastated the capital city of port-au-prince. the population of port-au-prince is a little over one million, and authorities are now saying that the death toll may reach into the hundreds of thousands, and hundreds of thousands more suffered serious injuries. most of the city has been reduced to rubble.

if you would like to donate $10 to the american red cross, perhaps the finest humanitarian relief organization in the world, you can text 90999 on your cell phone and the $10 charge will be added to your monthly bill. i understand that all major phone carriers are participating. you will receive a return text of confirmation of your donation, and 100% of your donation goes to medical relief efforts.

these people are human beings, and the scope of the devastation and death is immense.

step up to the plate and do something today to make you feel good about yourself. it's ten measly bucks, folks. most of you spend that much every day in beer alone.

mc

·
Member - Uncle John's Band
1,582 Posts
I challenge all coolers to help this humanitarian cause.
I made a donation last night to the Salvation Armys efforts. I chose them because they were HERE, (Surfside-Oyster Creek), driving down MY street after Ike, doing the right thing. Also , The American Red Cross was HERE doing there part. After seeing first hand, their RELIEF efforts. I cant sit by and just watch it on TV I feel the need to reach out to help.
If you are able, I think its the right thing to do. A few dollars each from a lot pf people will add up.
Mike

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I will donate to the Salvation Army but not the Red Cross. We had one red cross truck on Bolivar after Ike. It was only here to get on TV. Salvation Army was here doing everything they could to help.

Also Red Cross was nowhere to be found after Rita.

·
Member - Uncle John's Band
1,582 Posts
Another quick note, choose the organization you prefer, I only mentioned the 2 above but there are others. I heard a report that DOB -- Doctors without borders lost some of thier people in Haiti. this is a great organization that has helped in other parts of the world for a long time. I also feel this is a great place to donate.
Mike

·
Mid-Life Crisis in the Works
1,306 Posts
as most of you probably know, the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that struck haiti on tuesday has devastated the capital city of port-au-prince. the population of port-au-prince is a little over one million, and authorities are now saying that the death toll may reach into the hundreds of thousands, and hundreds of thousands more suffered serious injuries. most of the city has been reduced to rubble.

if you would like to donate $10 to the american red cross, perhaps the finest humanitarian relief organization in the world, you can text 90999 on your cell phone and the $10 charge will be added to your monthly bill. i understand that all major phone carriers are participating. you will receive a return text of confirmation of your donation, and 100% of your donation goes to medical relief efforts.

these people are human beings, and the scope of the devastation and death is immense.

step up to the plate and do something today to make you feel good about yourself. it's ten measly bucks, folks. most of you spend that much every day in beer alone.

mc
Done and thanks.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Another quick note, choose the organization you prefer, I only mentioned the 2 above but there are others. I heard a report that DOB -- Doctors without borders lost some of thier people in Haiti. this is a great organization that has helped in other parts of the world for a long time. I also feel this is a great place to donate.
Mike
A good friend, a doctor down in Galveston, volunteers with this group. 2x on the recommendation.

·
Vendor
2,083 Posts
I was there in the 80's working on a Methodist church mission project in Cap-Hatien on the east side of the island. Port au Prince was a hell hole at the time and I doubt it's changed much since then.

It's always been on my list to revisit though not a "touristy" destination. The people are great by and large and the poverty is just touching. I had about $32 dollars in the bank here in the States and when I got back home I realized I was one of the wealthiest people in the world.

Construction quality is so poor I can't even imagine the devestation. The slums might fare better insofar as a piece of tin falling on your head is much better than a piece of concrete or 2x4's and shingles, plywood, etc.

You can bank on this, a logistical nightmare, with extreme shortages of medical, building, equipment, transporation, food, water, clothing, shelter, etc. The Methodist church has a huge presence there, so you might consider dropping an extra dime in the plate on Sunday, they'll need every bit of it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts