2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The snapper fishing has slowed down dramatically for me the past two weekends, and my reputation has gone down like a Miami Heat cheerleader on a blind date. A bell was going off in the back of my head, though, making me think I've seen this before and it had something to do with spawning. Here's what I found after a short Google search:

"All snapper are oviparous. Northern red snapper spawn in areas reefs, away from reefs, at depths of 60-120 feet (18-37m) over flat sand bottom areas. The peak spawning period is June through August in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico, and from August to September off southwestern Florida. Individual fish may spawn several times during the spawning season, and may produce over 9 million eggs during a single spawning event. Northern red snapper eggs are pelagic, spherical and transparent, measuring " blah, blah, blah.

If I'm right, and the romantic little devils are doing their thing away from the reefs right now, they should be back in a little bit and we'll be back in business.

The question now is, what does the gentleman snapper say to "break the ice" during such a delicate social situation as this? Come here often? I'm a Pisces? Me love you long time?

I'm so relieved! See, guys, I'm not sandbagging, I have an EXCUSE!

Cole

·
Registered
408 Posts
Based on some of the posts it seems that a couple of the boys on the board have found the "flat sand bottoms" where they are hiding.

I agree they are spread out unless you have an unmolested secret spot. We are all looking for that honey hole.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
Hey ColeS,

Where did you learn that "me love you long time?" Sounds like some Subic Bay action. Is that true? If so when and how?

THE JAMMER (Olongapo 72-74)

ColeS said:
The snapper fishing has slowed down dramatically for me the past two weekends, and my reputation has gone down like a Miami Heat cheerleader on a blind date. A bell was going off in the back of my head, though, making me think I've seen this before and it had something to do with spawning. Here's what I found after a short Google search:

"All snapper are oviparous. Northern red snapper spawn in areas reefs, away from reefs, at depths of 60-120 feet (18-37m) over flat sand bottom areas. The peak spawning period is June through August in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico, and from August to September off southwestern Florida. Individual fish may spawn several times during the spawning season, and may produce over 9 million eggs during a single spawning event. Northern red snapper eggs are pelagic, spherical and transparent, measuring " blah, blah, blah.

If I'm right, and the romantic little devils are doing their thing away from the reefs right now, they should be back in a little bit and we'll be back in business.

The question now is, what does the gentleman snapper say to "break the ice" during such a delicate social situation as this? Come here often? I'm a Pisces? Me love you long time?

I'm so relieved! See, guys, I'm not sandbagging, I have an EXCUSE!

Cole

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
We are catching more throw backs this year than we have in the past. I have noticed a big difference compared to last year.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jammer, I heard that line, as well as more descriptive ones I'll omit on this family website when I was running a satcom site at Clark in the late 70s. I came back for some memorable Cope Thunders as an A-10 pilot out of Korea a few years later.

Cole

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
The big girls most always live on the flat sandy bottom. They never leave. I think the boyfriends come a calling at certain times with their flowers and perfume.

Charlie

·
Old ******
4,519 Posts
ColeS said:
Jammer, I heard that line, as well as more descriptive ones I'll omit on this family website when I was running a satcom site at Clark in the late 70s. I came back for some memorable Cope Thunders as an A-10 pilot out of Korea a few years later.

Cole
If you were there in the 70's you were too late. We had already taken the pick of the litter.

RVN 67-68-69
40th ARRS

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Charlie quit giving away all your secrets.

CHARLIE said:
The big girls most always live on the flat sandy bottom. They never leave. I think the boyfriends come a calling at certain times with their flowers and perfume.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If the male is the snapper and the female has the snapper????? I'm wondering how the birds and the bees get to that depth! And whoever thought it was a good idea to do it on the sand anyway? Does it look like two sows in a tow sack? I'm cornfused!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts